Anyone returned to Ireland?

tfarrell

We are going home in January. Just wondering if anyone has returned back to Ireland? Not entirely sure why ya would be still on this website if you were but would be nice to hear from any paddys :-)

Are you going back for good, or just on holiday. We're over here over a year, and not going back until Christmas 2013. :sad:

Plan A is for approx 2 years cause we want to really feel what its like to live at home again,but it could turn out to be permanent or we could make our way back to oz again before the 2 years is even up.Who knows!!! Just doing a wee bit of double checking things out afore child go to high school, and then any moving around becomes more tricky. We luv oz but also love home ,and there r pros and cons in each,so just want to be sure where is best for our future..

Im returning for good. I can see why alot of people love Oz but its deffo not for us. Im not sure what I thought I would gain from moving here but I feel we are better off back in Ireland. While my husband is working out here and getting paid more than at home I feel everything is so expensive so our quality of life would be pretty much the same. Which would be fine if I wasnt missing everyone from home so much. Theres lots of pros and cons to both places really but my heart is in Ireland and I cant change that. I know we must be mad going home to our winter but our lease is up then so it just feels right. We will have the novelty sunny xmas and do a bit of sightseeing but I really and truly cannot wait to go home. Cost us a bomb to move over here and sold our lovely home so Im kicking myself for that but I know if I hadnt of done it I would always be in the frame of mind that the grass is greener. Took me to come here to realise whats important to me I guess. If I could take the sun home with me I would be soooooooooooooooooooooo much happier. Everyone tells me to stay for two years. But life is too short.. I want to be home like yesterday!!! Nice to hear from a few thats done it / planning to do it. Its going to be very tough tho for my husband to get work at home as he is a carpenter. But I am contacting alot of companies and trying to get some contacts. My husband is very experienced and was with his previous employer in Ireland for over 12 years. Has great refs. And even moved up to Supervisor role before he left so I am hoping.. really hoping someone somewhere wants him. Once hes working then we will get a small mortgage to get a nice house in the area with were living, where we both grew up... and we will start again. Ive already contacted schools... so my eldest will be back in her lovely little school with all her friends and family and my 3 year old will get his free childcare place for the year and will then join my eldest in school. So that side is all sorted. And my mum and mother in law said they will take my youngest if I can get myself a job. Just say a prayer the job situation wont be as hard as we think. To be honest I dont think we had a great start here as just before I left my Mum had a scan of her brain as she was getting dizzy spells and they had to do further tests to rule out a brain tumor (what my granny died of) So only 3 weeks before we were to fly out she got the all clear. But it took 7 weeks for the results and in that time I already had doubts. Strange as it was me that pushed to move out here from the start. I just want to go home and be surrounded by family and friends that love us and know us inside and out.

yes, we moved back to Ireland from Perth in 2011. Am now living in Co. Tipperary.

Although we liked it there we just found things were too expensive in Perth.

We sold our house in 2008 and moved in 2009.

I am an electrician and have had 2 days without work this year.

totally understand u cant ignore where ur heart is. Took me personally about 5 yrs to begin to feel oz was like my home and a lot of that was hard work with lots of feelings of loneliness. But overall in my heart ireland is still my home and where i know i totally belong.I think one of the big challenges with emigration is we all need to "belong " and whilst our kids will do this naturally with establishing friends through schools it is harder for us oldies whose history and belonging was established elswhere.Ive really just connected with oz in last 2 yrs,although have awesome memories of the things we have done here over the last 7 yrs. In that we've now been away 7 years we really dont know what it will be like for us ,but im sooooo looking forward to soooooo much about going home eg being where everyone one knows me and where if i dont know them i know of them,and being with people that i have long historys with and im sooooo looking forward to catching up face to face with all my friends,going to the pub where i will know everyone in it etc etc etc. Weve been lucky as family have visited us every year and we have also got family here. However i do know if i wouldnt have had that i would have been like u and been long gone.My husband is a carpenter too and whilst employment may be a challenge at home for him there is nearly always work for me so we lucky in that regard also. Friends have also reassured us there have been other options for lots of tradesmen so fingers crossed for u guys.all the best for ur move back hoem. To stay longer here will most likely be hard and if ur hearts not in it,it could be really hard on ur mental health and happiness. Life is too short,dont ever regret coming here or going home. The only things we really regret are the things we didnt do :em3600:

We are returning to Ireland in January too. We have agonized over this decision and I could have written the above post from tfarrell myself as to how we feel - Oz is just not for us! It seems that making the decision to leave Oz has been harder than the decision to come. Best of luck to those returning and Gibbo - great to hear a positive story - long may it last for you!!

I'm very worried. But if I can't stay in oz. Its effecting me too much. I do not know what my husband will do as he's a carpenter. I just feel like I'm suffocating here. We have a lump sum from the sale of our house so I keep reminding myself of that. Abut finding work is cause for concern. Especially with three kids to look after.

A friend of mine applied for a small mortgage recently, both in permanent full time jobs and they were refused, another girl I know just returned with her doctor husband and they were told by bank not a hope of getting a mortgage for a long time. I think there were only about 10000 mortgages given out in the last year. My DH works in construction and apparently a lot of people are working below cost just to get work. Its a ticking time bomb. With the child benefits cuts and increased taxes to come in next few weeks I wonder what it will be like for people in the new year. We are here in Oz and taking it step by step as I have work at home to go back to. It will be a difficult decision. I agree Oz is so expensive and I cant stomach the thoughts of trying to get on the property ladder here. What to do oh what to do!!!

Its so hard to know what to do. But I know if I stay here I will be miserable. I am putting a brave face on things now but I can't keep it up for much longer. Only doing it for the sake of the kids. But even my eldest wants to go home. And its hard telling her how 'great' it is here when I feel exactly the same. Who knows what will happen when we return but I do know I will have a lot of family and friends that will support us when we return.

You are right to go back if you are that unhappy here. How long have you been here? Do you think you would have settled better had you been able to work?

We are here 5 months.. my husband is working away.. I'm at home with the kids which I love. I've made lots of friends but its not the same. The pull of family and old friends is just too strong to cope with. And while I like some things bout oz there's a lot I dislike. And I have a greater appreciation of home.

Thats not an ideal situation to find yourself in. I refused to come if DH found a FIFO job!! I would have been better off at home! They say it can take up to 2 years to settle but you sound like you know in your heart you dont want to be here. Best of luck with the move back, hope it works out for you.

I feel worried for the future in Ireland too but at the moment it is the lesser of two evils. We are drowning financially and emotionally here, at least at home we will have some family support. Such a difficult decision to make and the grass is always greener but I suppose you make the best decision you can and hope for the best. Wishing you all luck in your decisions........

Archived