190 Visa Question - Proving Child's Dependancy

d4ddyc00l

Hi all,

I'm hoping to be applying for my 190 visa very soon - just had the "initial contact" email from skillselect regarding my WA state sponsorship this morning.

We have three children, 17, 18 and 20, and we want to include them all on our visa. The 17 and 18 year old are both at sixth form studying full time, so no issues there. The 20 year old is not studying, but is working part time (15 hrs per week) as a waiter on minimum wage. He definitely cannot support himself, so is dependant upon us, but we're not sure how we will prove this.

So my question is: what will we need to do to prove his dependancy, and does anyone see a problem with this situation?

Also, if we apply with him on the application, and he is refused, does that mean that we will all be refused?

I don't want to be in the situation where I've paid £2k for the visa application only to find out it's been refused because of my son, and then have to pay another £2k for a new application without him (especially as he's not even sure if he wants to live in Oz)!!

So to address your last concern first, you won't be in the situation where your visa is declined because of the eldest son not being dependent. Before they do that, you would be given the opportunity to remove him from the application. So this is not an issue.

However his dependency, yes I would certainly expect an issue with that. Low income does not mean dependent in DIACs eyes, even if you think he is dependent. Full time education is the key, continuous full time education that is i.e. him ooking on a course now won't help much. I could only recommend professional assistance to see if there is a strategy for your son and ensure that no stone is left unturned. But unfortunately, I would not feel optimistic.

Hi Rupert, and thanks for your reply. At least you have put our mind at ease about the visa application!

Do you or anyone else know what sort of evidence we would have to provide to prove his dependancy? Also, do you think that this would end up delaying our visa application?

Thanks.

It would be worth looking at old threads on the issue as I seem to remember a case where the visa was granted to family even though the eldest was in employment. From what I remember she supplied wage slips to prove low income and evidence that he wouldnt be able to afford to live independently if they left him behind. If I was you I would try and include your eldest even if he is reluctant to go because if he changes his mind down the line, he would have to qualify for his own visa, which is not that easy and more expense.

Archived