Views on George Town

coleraine64

Hi there, visiting Tasmania in 6 weeks time, hopefully moving early next year. Any views on George town would be most welcome. Hoping to live about half an hour away from Launceston with some land if possible. Have considered possibly looking at bed and breakfast accommodation to run, but whatever comes along. Any advice most welcome. Thanks. Anne

George Town itself wouldn't inspire me: it's based on heavy industry (aluminium smelter and manganese manufacturing plant) and, I think, a fairly high rate of unemployment. However there are rural areas along the Tamar valley between it and Launceston which are quite lovely.

The only areas which would be a definite no no would be the suburbs which were originally established as broad acre Housing Commission suburbs or ones which are predominantly industrial. Around Hobart I'm thinking of Clarendon Vale, Rokeby, Risdon Vale, Gagebrook, Bridgewater, Chigwell, Glenorchy: in Launceston, Ravenswood...but, apart from that, I don't know that area very well.

I'm not sure what size area you are thinking of in terms of shops etc. There are villages like Evandale, Longford near Launceston, Richmond near Hobart, or Cygnet (within commuting distance) but they are "one general store" type towns. Kingston, south of Hobart, might fit the bill, as long as you live fairly close to the centre...or some of the smaller centres beyond that...Margate, Snug, Kettering etc. Or Huonville, in the Huon Valley, south of Hobart.

Guest bigand101

Hi Anne,

I'm even newer on this forum than you - but may be able to offer some advice. We've been living in Lilydale - 30 mins NE from Launceston for the last year, having lived in Launceston itself before that. As Skani has said, outside of Launceston, the villages are really only basic shops - general store, post office, hardware basics etc...

But if you're looking for a place with a bit of land 30 mins or so from Launceston, then there are a lot of great options. Up and down both sides of the Tamar are small villages with basic shops. Evandale and Longford / Cressy - and even out to places like Westbury, Deloraine etc.. are all worth looking at. I'm biased, but I reckon the Lilydale area is also great - especially as you're then 30 mins to Launceston in one direction, and 30 mins to the coast in the other......

All the best.

Guest bigand101

George Town itself might not the best place to go though - the economy is especially fragile there at present, which would make it tough to run a successful B+B etc.. - and as Skani noted, there is a bit of heavy industry around there too....