Has anyone successfully migrated after breast cancer? or know of anyone who has?

Guest westwoodc

Guest westwoodc

Im looking tofind out if anyone has successfully been granted a perm visa after breastcancer and if so, how long after diagnosis was this?

We have been given conflicting advice and am worried about the impact to ourvisa application. The Australian High Commission have said that there is no settimescale whereby you cannot apply after cancer, and that each case it viewed independently.

A friend mentioned that it was 3 yrs, our migration consultant has agreed withthe High Commission. WE have just lodged our visa for perm residency in Perth,we have been granted sponsorship and my husband has gained the Fitter general certificaterequired, however I was diagnosed 18 months ago with breast cancer.

All my treatment has finished, in 38 now and perfectly healthy, I don’t haveany follow up medication so there is no cost to the Australian medical servicethere, I would just have annual checkups. I’ve had a double mastectomy (mychoice) and reconstruction so the chance of reoccurrence is now less that 4%and as Ive had the recon already again there is no pending costs to theAustralian medical system.

Is there anyone who can pls shed some light or hope on this for me, I would bevery grateful for anything at all as all the things I’ve read on theImmigration website, such as health requirements only document TB, Hepatitisand HIV, they don’t even mention cancer, which to me must be a positive thingbut then Im bias.

Thank you in advance

Hi there.

I too was recently diagnosed with cancer (thyroid) and have just been assigned my case officer for a 175 visa. Health checks to be undertaken at the end of this month. I am 33 years old and was diagnosed in April and will find out if I am clear in October - after my Oz health check! My understanding is that it won't affect admission to Oz. As long as it doesn't cost the Oz government money for any further treatment it should be okay. They may ask for us to sign a waiver if there may be future costs etc. Good luck!

Guest westwoodc

Hi, Im sorry you have been unwell, its awful isnt it, I feel like our whole family life is hanging in the balance and its me who could spoil the dream for everyone. I was diagnosed May 2011, am all done now and have been for since Nov last year but I am worried that they could say no just because I once had it. Although where would they draw the line if they did, would they/could they say come back in another year or two etc, which is why I am hopeful they will just see me as clear now and then give us a yes. I know of people have gone after cancer, but they have been clear for longer which is why Im nervous. Keep me up to date with how you go and good luck x

Guest The Pom Queen
Im looking tofind out if anyone has successfully been granted a perm visa after breastcancer and if so, how long after diagnosis was this?

We have been given conflicting advice and am worried about the impact to ourvisa application. The Australian High Commission have said that there is no settimescale whereby you cannot apply after cancer, and that each case it viewed independently.

A friend mentioned that it was 3 yrs, our migration consultant has agreed withthe High Commission. WE have just lodged our visa for perm residency in Perth,we have been granted sponsorship and my husband has gained the Fitter general certificaterequired, however I was diagnosed 18 months ago with breast cancer.

All my treatment has finished, in 38 now and perfectly healthy, I don’t haveany follow up medication so there is no cost to the Australian medical servicethere, I would just have annual checkups. I’ve had a double mastectomy (mychoice) and reconstruction so the chance of reoccurrence is now less that 4%and as Ive had the recon already again there is no pending costs to theAustralian medical system.

Is there anyone who can pls shed some light or hope on this for me, I would bevery grateful for anything at all as all the things I’ve read on theImmigration website, such as health requirements only document TB, Hepatitisand HIV, they don’t even mention cancer, which to me must be a positive thingbut then Im bias.

Thank you in advance

I'm so sorry to hear this, my friend had stage 4 and went back to the UK. As you have had a double mastectomy and the reconstruction I think you should have a better chance (I'm not a migration agent so cannot say for definate) I know for my friend they told her they could never give her the all clear but to be honest the odds are in your favour, and if I was handing out the visas I'd give you one today for everything you have been through you deserve it :hug: :hug:

Good luck with everything. I got over here having had cancer, so it's possible, unfortunately mine came back but I'm sure you are going to be fine Hun :hug:

Guest westwoodc

Hi, thank you for taking the time to respond, I would hope the visa person is like you!!! . Did Ur friend go back to the uk for better treatment? And for you, when you went to oz initially how long had you been clear? Are you still unwell or did you beat it again? Was it breast cancer? Sorry for all the questions x

I haven't used a migration agent. I was probably 90% of the way through the pre application process when I was diagnosed. I just need to cross my fingers that it won't affect my visa. My consultants told me the operation that I had was a complete success and shouldn't affect life expectancy so on that basis I'm hoping that my application should be approved.

• 3 months later...
Guest westwoodc
I'm so sorry to hear this, my friend had stage 4 and went back to the UK. As you have had a double mastectomy and the reconstruction I think you should have a better chance (I'm not a migration agent so cannot say for definate) I know for my friend they told her they could never give her the all clear but to be honest the odds are in your favour, and if I was handing out the visas I'd give you one today for everything you have been through you deserve it :hug: :hug:

Good luck with everything. I got over here having had cancer, so it's possible, unfortunately mine came back but I'm sure you are going to be fine Hun :hug:

Hi, I just thought I would see how you are with you saying you were unwell x

Archived