Renting In Melbourne

Guest Kelbo

Me and my wife and son are moving to Melbourne in 6 weeks time. I'm being sponsored by a company on a 457 visa who are providing accommodation for the first 4 weeks. As soon as we arrive we are going to look for a house to rent. I quite like the look of Point Cook, Williamstown, Altona and also Geelong. I'm working in Melbourne CBD so not sure if Geelong to far out.

Can anyone tell me if these suburbs are suitable for a young family? Do all rentals come unfurnised? We were hoping for a furnished house, is this unlikely? Thanks for any advice you have.

Guest Ali,Gail & Ellie

We're planning to move to Melbourne in early '09 (which seems some way off at the moment....) but made the trip in November predominantly to get our visas stamped and get a better feel for the place....

We only spent a few days in Melbourne (checked out Sydney and Adelaide) so don't take what I say as gospel but I would suggest that Geelong would be a long commute every day - though I guess it depends what you are used to. We liked the look of the south eastern suburbs. They do seem to be more expensive but the transport links seem to be better to the city...

Not really in a postion to answer your other questions I'm afraid so probably haven't been much use...! All the best anyway when the move comes round..

I have driven to Geelong on the way to the great coast road

It would certainly be a long commute.

It would be the last few miles into the city in the morning that would be the

Biggest delay.

and dont forget the cost of the toll road!

So unless you work flexy time look at some ware closer to the CBD.

There is a train service to melbourn from Geelong but not sure how good it is.

Guest SabineSch

Hi,

we want to move to melbourne as well, but we still have a long way to go! Just finished the skills assessment and want to send it next week.

There are plenty of great suburbs to take a look at close to the city. Have a look at www.whereis.com.au for a map..

Here’s some suburbs that I can think of at the moment

Elwood

St Kilda

Albert Park

Carlton

Prahran

Fitzroy

Collingwood (can have some rough parts but trendy in others)

Brunswick

Richmond

Hawthorn

I know a family that lives in Greensborough which is about 20 kms from the city and is mainly a family type suburb. Loads of pensioners and children!

It must be a great feeling to know that the dream finally came true! I cant wait to have that feeling! :)

Sabine

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Kelbo

We have a fully furnished 3 bedroom rental house which would suit your short term needs while you look for something more permanent. The house is located in McCrae on the Mornington Peninsula. It is still one hour from Melb. but a great family location and only 800 metres from Mccrae beach.

If interested send me your email address and I can send you photos of the house, tariif and a brief description of the area. Also send me the dates you would like to rent to see if the dates match up. March is fairly free at the moment.

Regards

Andrew

Guest T and family

hi we are the rigby family with kids 5 and 8 we took head to melbourne on a 457 on the 14th marchfor 4 weeks serviced and then rental in point cook !! we are hoping to buy there around xmas.. its and huge family area the estates are being build with young families in mind and its around a 40 min commute to the cbd for hubby by train or 1hr good going by car

we have looked at schools and there are 5 in the 10 minute drive belt ... in oz there are no catchment areas so you just pick the school you want ... u are like us will be paying for your schooling fees...

we wish you luck and may see you on route... can i ask who you are going out to work with we are fujitsui... wish you luck Tracey and Family

Guest T and family

ps all rentals are unfurnished they come under serviced rentals ie apartments point cook does have serviced houses at sancturay lakes at around $250 per night.. if you want more info i can let you know...

we are going to have to extend our serviced rental by 2 plus weeks till the container arrives before we get into a house...

ig et the feeling we are both on the same journey??

Guest dannyboy

Kelbo,

We currently rent in Hampton which is around 20 - 30 mins drive from the CBD. I would suggest looking around the south eastern suburbs, it's near the beach, good schools etc. The train lines also run along the bay, so I would look at the connex train map and as a guide for you, Hampton takes around 30 mins... Geelong is a long drive and it's over the Westgate bridge and is a pain during rush hour, although Williamstown is nice but it has no beaches..... (more rocks than sand).

Have a look at these suburbs on realestate.com.au at rentals

Gardenvale

Hampton

Brighton

Mordialic

Cheltenham

Highett

Richmond (not so near to the beach)

Rentals are generally not furnished but certain agents do deal with furnished places, so it's work looking at realestate.com.au to check. Most do reply to emails and they are better than the UK (in my view)

Hope this helps....

Dan:smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kathy&Niall

Hi, Sandringham is lovely, community feel, lovely beach and has a direct train to the CBD which takes 20 mins tops. Along that stretch of coastline is lovely so Hampton, Brighton (although pricey), Beaumaris, Elwood etc would all be good for you. We are moving out there in April on a employee visa too. Good luck

Kathy & Niall

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Butlers!

Could you also send me details of this house if the other guys don't take it!

Dear Kelbo

We have a fully furnished 3 bedroom rental house which would suit your short term needs while you look for something more permanent. The house is located in McCrae on the Mornington Peninsula. It is still one hour from Melb. but a great family location and only 800 metres from Mccrae beach.

If interested send me your email address and I can send you photos of the house, tariif and a brief description of the area. Also send me the dates you would like to rent to see if the dates match up. March is fairly free at the moment.

Regards

Andrew

Guest The Butlers!

Hi, family of 4 Steve, Sarah , Emily 5 and Harry 2 moving to melborne april 08 on a 457 visa - looking for some people to meet up with?

Guest T and family

:jiggy:

Hi, family of 4 Steve, Sarah , Emily 5 and Harry 2 moving to melborne april 08 on a 457 visa - looking for some people to meet up with?

we would love to catch up wit you we are doing the same out 14th march and in serviced till container arrives then hopfully a rental in point cook till i find THE house!!

and just to say i know how stressed we are at the mo and im sure that you are too..... your not alone

Tracey:spinny:

Guest The Butlers!
:jiggy:

we would love to catch up wit you we are doing the same out 14th march and in serviced till container arrives then hopfully a rental in point cook till i find THE house!!

and just to say i know how stressed we are at the mo and im sure that you are too..... your not alone

Tracey:spinny:

Yep, stressed - so much to do and not enough time, i am still working and so is Steve - whilst trying to fill out all the visa stuff, organise the sale of the house and pack stuff!!!!!! We are hoping to be out there end of April ish and have found a furnished rental in south caulfied - just until we work out where we are and whats going on. Point Cook looks amazing but is probably the wrong side of the city for us as my husbands job is in Clayton. Would love to meet up with you, have you a date yet, have you been to Melbourne before? We travelled and lived in melbourne in 2000 before we had the kids and loved it, its a great city. Am excited but scared all the same time!!

Sarah x:notworthy:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rachel L

Hi - my family - two kids under 5 - is moving to Melbourne end of April 08 despite the exchange rate (aaaarrghghghghg!). And being able to chink glasses with others is of major importance, so please keep me in the loop via meeting up. It's so stressful (husband's visa still hasn't come through - I've got dual), especially after selling a house and uprooting the children, I think that a get together, with kids camping in the garden, and much laughter and wine is a must. So whoever gets a house first hosts! Hope you don't mind my butting into the proceedings, just really would love to kick start any social activities as soon as possible. Life's too short to wait for it to happen! Good luck everyone with the packing, the flight and the search for rental property!

Rachel (Mike, Ben and Matilda)

Guest Rachel L

oh, and when we do move we don't know where to (we'll be renting initially)... want a suburb that's quite village-y (shops, park, community, compact, stuff going on) rather than a sprawling job where you need a bus to get to a shop. And want Melbourne, bayside or eastern... any ideas? Rachel xxx

oh, and when we do move we don't know where to (we'll be renting initially)... want a suburb that's quite village-y (shops, park, community, compact, stuff going on) rather than a sprawling job where you need a bus to get to a shop. And want Melbourne, bayside or eastern... any ideas? Rachel xxx

Have a look at the Mornington Peninsula - it has all of those things mentioned plus beautiful beaches and only an hour from Melb. if you want the husstle and bussle.

We have a rental property at McCrae if you are interested. Just send me your email address for photos and a brief description of the area.

Cheers

Andrew

Guest The Butlers!
Hi - my family - two kids under 5 - is moving to Melbourne end of April 08 despite the exchange rate (aaaarrghghghghg!). And being able to chink glasses with others is of major importance, so please keep me in the loop via meeting up. It's so stressful (husband's visa still hasn't come through - I've got dual), especially after selling a house and uprooting the children, I think that a get together, with kids camping in the garden, and much laughter and wine is a must. So whoever gets a house first hosts! Hope you don't mind my butting into the proceedings, just really would love to kick start any social activities as soon as possible. Life's too short to wait for it to happen! Good luck everyone with the packing, the flight and the search for rental property!

Getting together and a few glasses of wine sounds good! Would be good for the kids to meet up too, any ideas of where you hope to live? My husbands job is in clayton so we are looking at Berwick, packenham, cranbourne, frankston south area. Am starting to get nervous about it all, espicially the flight - my son is 2 and has issues with sitting still!! Think we will stop over, if only to give the other passengers a break!! Will be in touch when we have some sort of date, but it's looking at beginning of May arrival as we have so much to do!! Have arranged a temporary fully furnished rental in caulfield for a month or so, so we will have a base, would love to see you!! Speak soon, sarah

Guest peppa

hello everyone we are a family of 6 we are currently in brisbane been here a month now but we are moving to melbourne in april, we have done a few weekends down there trying to decide on an area that suits us,

my husband will be working in the CBD but with 4 children we wanted an area with good schools, a communtiy, parks and close to the beach if possible! we visited Sanctuary lakes/point cook and although the houses were amazing the area was not for us its a bit industral with not many shops although they are opening a new shopping centre this year.

We then spent a weekend house hunting in berwick, its a lovely place, its a village SE of the city and the house prices are still pretty good, However we stayeed in a house in mornington and fell in love with the place, mornington has everything we want as a family its beautiful, the commute will be just over an hour and we think thats worth it for the life style we will have. I am flying back on wednesday to look at a couple of houses.

We went to geelong on our travels! it a lovely town and would certainly be a place to consider with children (although we prefered morninton) to commute is a 50min direct train from geelong to melbourne cbd.

other areas to consider are:

Aspendale

Parkdale

Mentone

Highett

good luck. x

Guest T and family

hi rachel we will be in a rental by the 25th of april so i guess i host 1st!!!! tent will be ready for the kids and beer in the cooler and steak on the bbq.... cant wait... any idea where your looking for a house???

we leave on friday but will have the trusty laptop to keep us intouch with the world..

talk soon

tracey mark james 8 emilia 5

Guest The Butlers!

Hi, would love to meet up for afew drinks, will keep you posted on when we wille be out there - Thebutlers!!

• 6 months later...
Guest Peninsula Pom

Hi; just came on to the site and saw your dilemma. We had some real problems when we first got here but an incredible bit of luck put us in touch with an expat who had a 3 bedroom bungalow (unit) in Mornington. Beautiful place and we arranged to rent it off him for 8 weeks until our furniture arrived. If you still need a place, let us know and we'll dig out the details. Good luck anyway. Kate

Archived