From 457 to Permanent Visa...Do you have to work full time on permanent visa if..pls help!!!

trace1

I am presently living in Townsville and have been working full time on a 457 visa as a midwife...I have been in touch with DIAC as I wish to reduce my full time hours to point 8....eight shifts per fortnight...this is ok on a 457 visa even though it states that you have to work full time....DIAC state that you can reduce your hours so long as you earn over a certain amount....think they quoted $54,100 or so...I now wish to apply for my permanent visa but have to do it through my work as I do not get enough points to do this myself...my employers have agreed to sponsor me through the direct entry Employer Nomination Scheme...this states also that I have to be offered a full time position for at least two years....when I phoned Diac they stated that the change in my hours would not affect my permanent visa...my employers are happy to reduce my hours on my 457 visa but their understanding is that I have to work full time...I then phoned Diac again who then gave me conflicting advice...they stated that for the purposes of the nomination I had to be offered a full time position but that I could then reduce my hours once the visa was granted...I was then told however that I had to continue to work full time for the duration of the visa....am now very confused and obviously do not wish to put my permanent visa in jeopardy...can anyone help with this pls?

Tracy:arghh:

• 8 months later...
Guest MigrateAustralia

Hi Tracy,

Some suggestions would be;

- If you want to apply for a permanent visa, apply under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) as your position is in Townsville. Under RSMS there is no requirement for work experience - you would just need to have the skills required (for your position) according to the ANZSCO and have current registration.

- If you want to apply under ENS then you will need a skills assessment and 3 years work experience. The work experience has to be full-time, but it does not have to be in the last 3 years - it can be anytime since you became qualified.

Hope that helps!

Warm regards,

Philip

Archived