Employment Reference Letters - 457

BenSwinney

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been offered a position in Melbourne and I'm in the process of gathering the information together for the VISA application.

My migration agent has asked for employment reference letters for positions you have held over the last 5 years. Do they need to be references from the managers, team leaders etc or would a note from the company HR be sufficient to say I was working there?

I'm a self employed IT Consultant, so all my work has been done through my Limited Company so in theory my employment was with my company and I was contracted out to work for these other companies.

I'm just confused about what I would do in that situation. Do I write a reference for myself? Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben, I am sorry I can´t really help you with your query, my OH was self employed and he got references from colleagues (if that makes sense) I am not an expert on migration but I would have thought that any references from previous contractors should be OK, but as I say I am no expert so please seek professional advice :yes:

I am sure someone will be along shortly to help you out, I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum and to give your post a little bump, bump, bump.

Good luck with the 457 process, we found it fairly easy and stress free ......

My hubby was in the same boat but ended up getting sponsered (457) for which he only needed references from the company he was working for at the time (he too had a company but worked on a contract basis). When we started looking into PR he started to gather as many letters as possible from the HR people at various different companies but some said that they didn't issue references for contract staff which was a pain. In the end we lodged the PR visa in my name as I had only worked for one employer.

Double check with your agent as to what you need and hopefully someone will be able to shed some light.

Archived