Stationhand Jobs / Jackaroo

rday22362

How hard is it to get a station hand job ? I think it would be a great job to do for the 3 months regional work to qualify for the 2nd year WHV.

If anyone has got any contacts or knows the best way to go about getting this type of work please let me know.

You are more than welcome to inbox me the details.

Also Im currently in Great Britain at the moment, I assume its best to actually be out in oz to land one of these Jobs, I cant imagine many people get one secured before they go.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

How hard is it?Well depends if you have the relevant experience.Can you fix a fence?Ride a horse?Round up cattle?Maybe shear the odd sheep?If you have no experience,your chances would I think be limited.Time is money,and most farmers would'nt be very willing to spend time training whilst paying.There might be opportunities to train on a "voluntary"basis.

Guest The Pom Queen

Contact Georgia, she is currently advertising:

If anyone is looking for work on a North West Queensland cattle station for 2013, there are positions avaiable for stockwo/men and Governesses. Excellent work conditions, accommodation and meals provided. Experience is not essential however references will be required from previous employers. Please email me on georgia_fleming@hotmail.com for more information.

Guest The Pom Queen

It depends on where you want to go. If you are thinking western NSW (west of Bourke) you would need to be able to ride a motorbike as very few people use horses and knowledge of sheep would be an advantage but lots of people have beef cattle and goats. If you are talking "the territory", the ability to ride a horse is essential but ability to shear a sheep less so. They graze beef cattle mostly.

The properties are not farms but stations and those that run them are not farmers but graziers. Therefore knowledge of plowing, sowing etc is not needed but some knowledge of how to drive a tractor to hydraulically drive fence posts and roll out fence wire would be handy.

The terminology of jackaroo/jillaroo is a young inexperienced station worker. A stationhand, however implies an experienced worker. The pay is dependent on experience.

My knowledge comes from owning and running a sheep/cattle station for about 10 years in far western NSW, where we employed both, however most work is itinerant, ie not full time in one place. You would most likely be moving around from one station to another as they require help to muster cattle in for marking, branding and culling or sheep for shearing, crutching, marking etc. this would only be a few weeks a number of times per year. The graziers and their wife's run the properties on their own for the rest of the time and their kids go to school through School of the Air, so out of school time the kids help out too!

Edited by dianaos

Yes I can ride a motocross bike very well, It has been a hobby of mine for a long time so I assume this would work in my favour

Thank you so much for all the help everybody really greatful.

Dianaos - Im a little confused by what you said because alot of the station hand work I have found always asks for 3 months plus work, are you just refering more to the mustering of cattle which happens for a few weeks then its general stuff like fence building, water irrigation etc which takes up the rest of the time.

Im a little confused by what you said because alot of the station hand work I have found always asks for 3 months plus work, are you just refering more to the mustering of cattle which happens for a few weeks then its general stuff like fence building, water irrigation etc which takes up the rest of the time.

Yes, that is correct and the size of the property and number of livestock eqivalent (approx 10 sheep = 1 beef cattle) will determine the number of employees, so some places will have full time employees while other properties will only employ casual staff for the busiest times. It is most likely to be about 3 months minimum at a time as prior to any mustering you have to do fence checks and repairs. Its no point mustering stock into paddocks if the fences are down as you can bet the stock will find the gaps :)

Its good you have experience on bikes. Do you have a particular area you want to go to such as Northern Territory, Western Queensland, norther South Australia or Western NSW? @moving-to-Melbourne has given you some good points of contact but it would also be good for you to work out whether you want to work with sheep, cattle or mixed and whether you would prefer horses, bikes or both as this will determine where would be best the best location to approach for work. I would suggest starting around Longreach (the Stockmans Hall of Fame is there) as wider area will offer good variety of experience and options.

Hope you like the heat, though as it can be very hot! Have fun, I lived in the "outback" or the bush as us ozzies call it for about 15 years and it was an incredible experience, including such things as being stuck behind flood waters for months at a time and having goods air dropped by the military, savage droughts and then amazing transformations when it rains. There are also the B&S balls and Picnic Races for a bit of downtime.