489 Regional Sponsored Visa Question

Guest Gemsy

Hi,

I'm new and I can't seem to find the answer to this question...If I get granted the 489 regional sponsored visa for WA am I correct in thinking that I'll have a year before I actually have to go over to Australia? Also, once I go over on the 489 visa, will I have to remain in regional WA for the full 2 years straight away or would I be able to return to the UK for a year and then return to do the 2 years in regional WA? I hope that makes sense. I want to apply asap before there are any more changes coming in that may make it even more difficult for me to obtain the visa. However, I wish to finish my studies over here (this qualification doesn't contribute towards any points that I am claiming). Basically, can I defer entry by going over to validate the visa, returning to the UK to finish my course and then returning to WA to do the 2 years?

Thanks in advance for any replies

x

As far as I'm aware you have to validate your visa within a year of your health/Pcc checks and then you are free to move back and forth,but a 489 is a 4 year provisonal visa so it would depend on how long you needed to finish your course, best of luck , hope this helps ,dibongo

As far as I'm aware you have to validate your visa within a year of your health/Pcc checks and then you are free to move back and forth,but a 489 is a 4 year provisonal visa so it would depend on how long you needed to finish your course, best of luck , hope this helps ,dibongo

Thanks for the reply : )

I'm really sorry to sound thick and I am certain that these questions have already been answered but I cannot find them anywhere. Do the 4 years start from the date the visa is issued or 4 years from the date of validation? We're going over for a holiday in December so we could validate it then (that is if we get invited of course!) but if the 4 years starts from the date of validation rather than the date of issue, then we would wait until we went on holiday next year in order to prolong it even further. I probably make no sense at all but please bear with me. So when the visa starts, you have 4 years to achieve the 2 years residency in regional WA and the 12 months full time employment requirement? Do they have to be continuous stretches? Could it be 6 months in 1 year and 18 months within the 4 years? Do you have to do the job that you got a positive assessment for or can you work in any job?

Sorry for so many questions. Also, does anyone know whether we would have to pay anything towards our 4 year old attending state school/kindergarden in WA seeing as though we won't be classed as permanent residents?

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to validating your visa pretty quickly after it is issued?

I am also that there is no entitlement to medicare on this visa, what do people do when they need healthcare? Do they have insurance? Where do you get that from? The UK or Oz? Is it expensive?

Really appreciate any advice you're able to give me x

Sorry, I also forgot to ask whether you apply to WA first and fill in the form on their website first or do you submit an EOI first and wait until WA offer sponsorship? I am normally a reasonably intelligent person and I just find alll of this information pretty overwhelming. It really helps to pick people's brains so thanks!

As regards when the four years start I really don't know for certain, but I will know when I get my visa so I will update you then (should be well before dec)but I seem to think its from when you validate.

12 months employment- see above!(but I think it's just 12 months in total out of 48 ,but never really thought about it if I'm honest)

State sponsorship- put EOI in first then as soon as its accepted apply to WA for sponsorship directly .

Hope this helps a bit....by the way they are updating the WA jobs list by the end of the month so get in ASAP !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi all

Can some body answer Gemsy's questions. I too in need of answers.

Regards

savithru

Thanks for the reply : )

I'm really sorry to sound thick and I am certain that these questions have already been answered but I cannot find them anywhere. Do the 4 years start from the date the visa is issued or 4 years from the date of validation? We're going over for a holiday in December so we could validate it then (that is if we get invited of course!) but if the 4 years starts from the date of validation rather than the date of issue, then we would wait until we went on holiday next year in order to prolong it even further. I probably make no sense at all but please bear with me. So when the visa starts, you have 4 years to achieve the 2 years residency in regional WA and the 12 months full time employment requirement? Do they have to be continuous stretches? Could it be 6 months in 1 year and 18 months within the 4 years? Do you have to do the job that you got a positive assessment for or can you work in any job?

Sorry for so many questions. Also, does anyone know whether we would have to pay anything towards our 4 year old attending state school/kindergarden in WA seeing as though we won't be classed as permanent residents?

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to validating your visa pretty quickly after it is issued?

I am also that there is no entitlement to medicare on this visa, what do people do when they need healthcare? Do they have insurance? Where do you get that from? The UK or Oz? Is it expensive?

Really appreciate any advice you're able to give me x

Let me clear ..

1. medicare felicities will not be available to 489 visa holders. Do we have any private health insurance felicities? If so, how different they are, in-terms of coverage and monthly premium.

2. Do they charge for the education for small children under the age 6. if so what will be the typical fees per month/year.

3. Do we face any problems for "being employed" (not on contract basis) for not being the permanent residents of Australia.

Thanks & Regards

Savithru

Let me clear ..

1. medicare felicities will not be available to 489 visa holders. Do we have any private health insurance felicities? If so, how different they are, in-terms of coverage and monthly premium.

2. Do they charge for the education for small children under the age 6. if so what will be the typical fees per month/year.

3. Do we face any problems for "being employed" (not on contract basis) for not being the permanent residents of Australia.

Thanks & Regards

Savithru

1. 489 visa holders recieve restricted Medicare IF your country has a reciprocal agreement with Australia .

You will then have to take private healthcare out if you wish.

2. Yes you will be charged ,I don't know how much as I don't have children but I'm sure if you look around in the forum there are other threads covering this subject.

3. I'm sorry I really don't understand your question, the 489 is a 4 year provisional ( pathway to PR ) WORKING visa, enabling all people on the visa application to work in regional western Australia .

Hope this helps

cheers dibongo

Your TRA assessment took 11 months?

Yep, after three months our ex-agent informed us that the rules had changed and we had to send more info , then another four months later it came back as unsuccessful ( because my wife is also a manager they said she wasn't a hairdresser! ) . We then sent away for a reassessment and three months later it came back successful, we got our money back for the reassessment though.

It was an absolute nightmare!

Cheers dibongo

Hi dibongo

Thank you very much for your reply.

For the third question, Here we have 2 concepts of hiring.

1. Contract basis .. for few months / years. Here the individual will not get the the full benefits of company's policies like Hike in salary, insurance, travel / cab felicities and sports, gym, to list a few.

2. The individual will be "employed" by the company. This is a kind of permanent (though nothing is permanent in private organizations) employment, where the employed will get "full benefits" of the organization's policies.

It is natural for me to prefer to get "employed" rather than joining on the contract basis.

My doubt here is, having 489 visa and being allowed to stay only for a maximum of 4 years (we may or may not get PR status thru 887 visa, but it is the later case), do we have any disadvantages over PRs, in-terms of getting "Employed"?. Do you think companies give equal chances to 190/189 visa holders and 489 visa holders?

ha.. one more question..

In relation to PRs, does the income tax levied by the govt. is too heavy on these temporary residents?

Thanks & regards

Savithru

3. I'm sorry I really don't understand your question, the 489 is a 4 year provisional ( pathway to PR ) WORKING visa, enabling all people on the visa application to work in regional western Australia .

Hope this helps

cheers dibongo

Yep, after three months our ex-agent informed us that the rules had changed and we had to send more info , then another four months later it came back as unsuccessful ( because my wife is also a manager they said she wasn't a hairdresser! ) . We then sent away for a reassessment and three months later it came back successful, we got our money back for the reassessment though.

It was an absolute nightmare!

Cheers dibongo

if you don't mind my asking with how many points did you aply for 489 (including the 10 points of the sponsorship )

60 points including state sponsorship my friend , state sponsorship is an automatic invite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So it seems that for people who have an occupation in great demand it is feasible for them to receive an invitation to apply even with the minimum of points (60 including SS for 489) .I suspect that is for 489 only ,Any opinions?

• 1 year later...

@Gemsy: As far as I (recently) understood, the 12 months full time employment do not have to be in one continuous stretch, it can be cumulated, and you do not have to work in the job for which you got the positive skills assessment (so it can be any job).

You will have to pay the full price for the education of your child, because on this provisional visa you do not get (any financial) help from WA.

Also you don’t get Medicare because you are not a permanent resident, but you can get yourself and your family private health insurance.

@savithru: “Do you think companies give equal chances to 190/189 visa holders and 489 visa holders?” No, they don’t give equal chances (from what I’re read on this forum), employers prefer people who are permanent residents. But don’t let this deter you.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
1. 489 visa holders recieve restricted Medicare IF your country has a reciprocal agreement with Australia .

You will then have to take private healthcare out if you wish.

2. Yes you will be charged ,I don't know how much as I don't have children but I'm sure if you look around in the forum there are other threads covering this subject.

Hope this helps

cheers dibongo

Hi. Newbie here

When you are granted a 489 visa, are you restricted to what type of employment you can apply for. Example is granted a 489 on an ICT project manager but want to apply for an ICT business analyst vacancy

Hope someone can help as its a litlle confusing with the lack of guidance.

I am alsomlooking for help with RPL route as I have no recognised qualification in my profession, but have over 25 years of experience.

Paul

Hi. Newbie here

When you are granted a 489 visa, are you restricted to what type of employment you can apply for. Example is granted a 489 on an ICT project manager but want to apply for an ICT business analyst vacancy

Paul

There are no restrictions whatsoever on the type of work you do on a 489. Even if you nominate ICT Project Manager, you could work full time in a shop or as a brickies labourer if you wish and still meet your employment obligations.

Archived