Employer Sponsored PR without a degree

star1976

Hi Poms

I hope you are all well. I wonder if anyone can advise me on my predicament to try for PR.

I am in Sydney on 457 working for Nokia. I have been a mobile telecoms network engineer for 12 years working for Nokia, Ericsson, Orange and 3 along with 2 years in Dubai for DU. When I came to Oz in Oct 2010 I was initially employed via an agency who provided by 457 visa although I have always been deployed in Nokia's premises. In Nov 2011 Nokia took me on permanently and gave me a new 457 visa sponsored by them. The view was that after 1 year (Nov 2012) they would apply for employer sponsored PR for me. Since July 2012 I have been informed that the rules have changed and that I need to be employed by the sponsoring company for 2 years instead of 1 unless I go through the channel of getting my skills assessed.

According to the skills list a telecoms engineer needs to get a skills assessment from Engineer Australia. Unfortunately when I contact them they will not provide me with a skills assessment since I don't have a bachelors degree and didn't go to uni. I have an HNC in Network Support and over 20 vendor telecoms certificates and along with the 12 years of experience but they wont assess me without a degree.

When I speak to the migration agent that Nokia uses he says I can do nothing other than wait until Nov 2013 and then the employer sponsored PR can be lodged without the skills assessment. Apparently he said I can be assessed from Vetasses who will look at my qualifications and work experience but can only assess me to the level of technician. Since I am employed as a senior engineer the PR application will be rejected since I am being employed in a role that I am under qualified for!

Does anyone know of any other way around this?

Many thanks and sorry its so long winded!

Archived