UK Mortgages for Ozzie Properties ?

Blewyn

The big risk is on the exchange rate. At present the Pound is at a historic low against the Australian Dollar.

Suppose you wanted to buy a $500K house, then you'd borrow about £320K at the current exchange rate. But that would mean locking in your borrowing at around $1.50 to £1.

If there was a shift, and that's possible because a lot of commentators argue that the Dollar is overpriced, then you'd be out of pocket for a large sum. In the mid-noughties, the exchange rate was around the $2.50 to £1 mark, so your mortgage would be circa £200K.

At this stage I wouldn't think about it, unless I was borrowing in Australia and buying in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
An estate agent tells me it is possible to get a mortgage in the UK for a property in Australia. Is this true ? If so, which providers are doing it and what are the pros and cons (aside from the massive interest rate difference !)

I saw this link today on a website and thought back to this post. https://www.commbankuk.co.uk/mortgages/?bluskymovetoaustralia_Aug2012 They seem to lend up to 80%. Anyway, hope it might help.

Cheers

Archived