Onshore Applicant Gone Offshore

Lizgats

I applied for the 885 Skilled Independent Visa in March 2008, and been pretty much waiting for PR since then. In May 2011, I moved back home, as there was a backlog with the processing of PR applications. I then got a CO assigned end of January this year, and now my application is about to be finalised (just waiting for medicals).

Here's the catch, because I applied for the visa onshore, I will have to return to Australia before I get the final grant. So when everything is finalised, I will get a pre grant letter requesting me to return so they can issue me the final grant.

Just curious, has anyone else done this before? How does the pre grant letter look like, and how much time frame were you given to re-enter for your final grant?

Thanks JoandJon

My CO had told me when everything is finalised she will send me a pre grant letter requesting me to return to Aussie, then I will need to apply for a temporary visitor's visa (my Bridging visa expired when I returned home) to allow me entry into the country so she can grant me my PR.

• 4 weeks later...

So here's a little update from me. I got the pre-grant notification on 20/09/2012, a day after my medicals were finalised. It did say that according to the Migration rules, for the 885 visa, I have to be in Australia when they make a final decision. I was then asked to give a date when I will return to Australia, and was not given a time frame of when I have to be there, was just told I need to respond to the email with 28 days. I applied for a visitor visa the next day, and that's all I'm waiting for now.

So here's a little update from me. I got the pre-grant notification on 20/09/2012, a day after my medicals were finalised. It did say that according to the Migration rules, for the 885 visa, I have to be in Australia when they make a final decision. I was then asked to give a date when I will return to Australia, and was not given a time frame of when I have to be there, was just told I need to respond to the email with 28 days. I applied for a visitor visa the next day, and that's all I'm waiting for now.

I think you need to call the immigration as soon as possible, you were sent a pre-grant notification two weeks ago, and your visa could be granted any time. I don't have any experience with 885, but nevertheless, if you were sent a pre-grant notification already, you definitely need to call them asap and check that your visa hasn't been granted yet.

• 1 month later...

Thanks bma! It all worked out well in the end. Because I didn't have a valid visa to re-enter the country, I was advised to apply for a visitor's visa which I did and was granted. I got back to Australia on 6th November, and 3 days later (9th November), my permanent residency was granted. The gloom that filled my life for the last 4 years is finally over :-)

Thanks bma! It all worked out well in the end. Because I didn't have a valid visa to re-enter the country, I was advised to apply for a visitor's visa which I did and was granted. I got back to Australia on 6th November, and 3 days later (9th November), my permanent residency was granted. The gloom that filled my life for the last 4 years is finally over :-)

Congratulations!!! I'm glad all went well for you after all. All the best! :)

Archived