Citizenship?

nick1972

Hello,

New member, first post...be gentle with me!

My dad has just applied for Citizenship by decent (and has been told it's a formallity by a Citizenship advisor at Aussie House in London) As soon as he gets this he is also going to apply for an Australian passport. I ultimatley want to use this to my advantage when I start to fill the forms in for migration.

I have a couple of questions:-

(1) Does anyone know of any loopholes with regard to obtaining citizenship by decent for Grand children (me!!)

(2) Are there any immigration policy ammendments scheduled that would get me citizenship?

(3) If I cant obtain citizenship by decent, would having an Australian Citizen/passport holder as a father be of any benefit when I start down the usual route to migration?

We currently live in the Thames Valley, and having just sold my business are looking to move to WA. My Grand-father was born in Melbourne, Victoria in 1903!!!

Thanks in advance,

Nick.

Guest Jupiter

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the site. I haven't posted many threads so am quite a novice here too but thought my experiences might help a little. Everyone on this site is so helpful and friendly, and you can actually pick up a lot of information by doing a search and reading old posts.

I was lucky enough to obtain citizenship by descent last summer as my mum was born in Sydney. I have two daughters who are now eligible for permanent visas but this is only the case as they are both under 25 (they are 15 and 17) and are considered financially dependent on me. Looking at your post I'm not sure if this would apply to you, in which case you may need to think of a different route (which I can't help you with - sorry).

I would suggest you have a good look on the Australian embassy website - try this link Child Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 101)

I'm really not an expert in this - like many others on the site I've just spent the usual number of hours trawling the web trying to find the answers. Give the embassy a call if you can't find the answer you need - they are really helpful but it does cost £1/minute!

Good luck!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Nick

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I'm afraid I can't help with your query but have you trawled the DIAC website carefully?

If not, please try here:

Australian Citizenship

Also ptlabs (Peter Chiam) is a Registered Migration Agent who is interested in Citizenship questions. Please see here:

Ptlabs Consulting

If you click on the reources link, you may find some help there or you could join Peter's forum and ask him on that.

Alternatively, have you come across British Expats? If not, it is here:

Immigration : British Expat Discussion Forum

JAJ, who posts in the immi Section, is also an expert on Australian Citizenship and I'm sure that either he or Peter could provide reliable answers to your query.

Also, I've just told it to search for Citizenship by descent. Here is what it has yielded:

British Expats - Search Results

Best wishes

Gill

Archived