14 and moving - any tips??

rachall

hi my name is livvi (mums account),

i'm 14 and about to go into year 10 in the uk. we are due to move just outside Sydney in the next couple of months and i'm a little worried. i am looking forward to going and i appreciate that it will be a great experiance, but i'm not looking forward to leaving all my friends and family. i'm even more worried about starting a new school there as i'm a bit of an aquired taste and dont make friends as easily as most people my age. any tips would be appreciated, i just need reassuring that everything will work out for the best :)

Guest Vixenpops

Good on you - what a mature attitude you could teach a number of people a good lesson

You will be fine and yr parents should and I am sure am damn proud of you

I am scared doing this and I am in my 30's

Within a few weeks you will settle and never look back

Good luck you deserve to be well happy x

Hi,

My daughter is 13 and we are aiming for Sydney in early 2013. You will find her on here as xXHopeXx. Drop her a message, if you want someone in a similar situation to talk too.

Good luck on your move, I am sure you will soon be enjoying the Australian life.

• 1 month later...

Hi my name is deonne, I'm 17 and moved out here last year in September. You have a very mature attitude for someone your age and its great you are making the most of this opportunity, more than I did at the start. I know how scary it is moving here and leaving friends and family behind it isn't easy but you manage. I'm sure you will make loads of friends here in Australia, people here are really nice and they love our British accent which is usually what makes them talk to you first. My advise is just be yourself and just talk to people and I'm sure you will make loads of friends. If you ever want to talk just email me and I will do my best to help. Good luck, you will be fine :)

From my personal experiences - I'd say the golden rule is to accept the new and not compare it with the old. Australians can be fairly inward looking, so people probably aren't going to be as interested in the UK as you would expect them to be. Be as positive as you can about your knew life, (TBH it's not that hard - it can be pretty nice there), and you'll find people respond to that. Accept it as an adventure. If things start to get you down, (homesickness etc), and you want to get things off your chest - that's what skype is for.