Family Visiting me while on WHV

baz6679

Hi all I am asking this on behalf of a friend. He has arrived on a 1 year WHV which expires in January 2013.

He has a wife and 2 kids at home in Ireland and had to sign a statement witnessed by the solicitor saying his family wouldn't visit him. Is this true? Can they not visit on a tourist visa. A visa agent whom he visited here told him his wife could visit on a tourist visa. His wife is a primary teacher and if she were to visit she would have a look at possible job opportunities. Any advice anyone??

You cannot have any child dependants on a WHV. I think the immigration site makes it pretty clear.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-first.htm

[h=2]General requirements[/h]You must:

• be outside Australia when you apply and, when your visa is granted
  • not have previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday (417) visa
  • not have previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (462) visa
  • be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying
    Important: Your age will be determined as the age you are in Australia at the time your application is lodged (Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) or the Australian Eastern Daylight Savings time (AEDT)). Because of this time difference you are advised not to wait to lodge your application until you are about to turn 31, as the system will take the current date in Australia as your application date.
  • be applying no more than 12 months before you intend to travel to Australia
  • not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay in Australia
    Note: A dependent child is the child, or step-child, of you or your partner who:
    • is not married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship
    • has not turned 18.

If you would like a dependent child to join you in Australia you must apply for a different visa such as a Tourist visa. If you have dependent children who will not accompany you at any time you must apply for a Working Holiday visa using the paper application. You are not able to apply online.

Snifter is right, those are the rules.

I know of one particular family who decided to ignore such rules though. He came over leaving his wife and two kids back in the UK, got a job who offered to sponsor him and the wife and kids flew out on tourist visas to join him. The wife and kids even had to fly out to Bali when after three months the visa application still hadn't gone in and their tourist visas expired. Flew back in on another 3 month tourist visa. The kids were out of school for 6 months whilst all this was being sorted out and eventually they got their PR.

For me I thought it was a stupid, risky idea, but it goes on.

The fact that they had to sign this in front of a solicitor, obviously it is true. This is the only reason that he got the WHV granted.

Dont under estimate the DIAC, if they try and enter the country they could be turned away at the border - or if they do get in the WHV will be void and he would be in Australia without a valid visa, and likely a 3 year ban when he leaves.

The chance of his wife being able to get Sponsorship as a primary school teacher is likely slim to no chance. There are many citizens, and PR that cant find work as primary teachers.

If she is a primary teacher and they are all looking to make the move to Australia they should consider GSM - but Primary teacher is on CSOL 2 and requires State Nomination.

Archived