Back from our reccie and validation to QLD. WOW! (long post)

zk2102

Arrived back yesterday from our visa validation hol to QLD.

Thought some of you might be interested in some of our experiences and opinions. Will not be mentioning food costs lol!

When we move out in two years our kids will be 10 & 18 so our priorities were making sure there were plenty of jobs with a decent salary for OH, good high school and university, affordable house in a decent suburb, nightlife for DD and skate parks/bmx/surf clubs for DS.

Stayed in Brisbane for the first week and used this as a base to check out the bayside areas and city suburbs. Our first thoughts when driving from the airport was how much it reminded us of Florida. Imediatley had a good vibe about the place and after the first week had fallen in love with it.

Brisbane is an absolutley amazing city and how clean and new looking. Something for everyone. Took a walk along the riverside and was in awe of the beauty of it all. Loads of activities including abseiling, cyclists, rowing clubs, families out enjoying quality time together. South Side has the most amazing city beach with water activites for all ages, my son spent a good couple of hours playing 'Tiggy' (tag) with some of the local kids in the water activity pool and this is in a city! Plenty of shops and trendy cafes and bars. Some good markets to grab a bargain. Our daughter loved how she could walk around without having people pushing and shoving and said she could imagine herself living there so a good start for us.

Visited Raby Bay, Cleveland and other Redlands suburbs. Raby Bay is very attractive but with a less attractive price tag! Bumped into a couple of expats in a cafe in Victoria Point who loved living over in Oz but did mention that Redlands is expat central, lol. Would take a fifty minute comute to Brisbane so not too bad (better than commuting from our house to central London). Went to the skate park in Capalapa and DS was soon chatting away to the local kids about decks and bearings so no different to the UK and a skater boy stacked showing off in front of DD boys eh! Only down point for us is that most of the coast in the area is mangrove and although there are a couple of decent safe beaches I dont think they would warrant relocating to the other side of the world for.

Went up to the Sunshine coast for a day. Most amazing beaches some calm but some great surf there too. Dont know if it was because it was winter (22 in the shade) but it seems very popular with the elderly and very young families. Ate fish'n'chips at the beach in one of the many promanade seating areas along with several other families, bliss :)

Second week was spent in the Gold Coast. What can I say? As well travelled as I am Ive never seen beaches like it. I think the GC gets a lot of bad press from some quarters but it has just recieved a lot of money to rejuventate the city. Checked out Robina, Helensvale, Paciffic pines and Benowa. Fell in love with Benowa and Robina. Beautiful water side properties within our budget and above average state schools (some out performing the private ones). Will say that the GC is quite transient and this is more than evident in Surfers Paradise (one to miss me thinks). Burleigh Heads is a fab resort/suburb. Great beaches and independant boutique shops and eateries. Some nice property in the area too. Even a tramp could enjoy a good standard of living there what with its bbqs, boiling and fresh water points, wooden beds and electricity sockets!! Would like to mention that Sufers Paradise is not some where I would choose to spend any length of time, very much a seaside club 18-30s type place, not for me Im affraid.

So our conclusion. QSD is def the State for us. It has plenty of work for OH great schs & Uni. Have decided on Benowa, Gold Coast as the place we would like to be. We didnt go to Oz thinking it would be perfect and we were right, but I could venture out to Richmond Riverside on a Friday night and come across the less desirables!! Really glad we went out there just confirms that its the place we want to be :))

It is so good to hear that you loved it up in Queensland. It is a terrific place- we often go up there for hols. In fact if we were to emigrate now, that is where we'd go but probably more the Sunshine coast than the Gold Coast ( mainly because of the tourist influx!) So nice to hear a positive post and with your attitudes I am absolutely sure you will have no probs whatsoever in settling. Good luck.:biggrin:

Guest Burchos

Great to hear your positive experience. We are hoping to head out to Gold/Sunshine Coast. Although I am a little worried about job prospects. What does you DH do for a living?

Guest Burchos

My Husband runs his own small building business here. He is a carpenter by trade, but can turn his hand to pretty much anything. He is thinking of setting up on his own over there - it's just a matter of getting a few contacts there hopefully. I feel very nervous because it's the unknown and have heard things are pretty tough there at the moment.

I'm sure your husband will be fine. Go out there and don't be afraid to talk to people. It's amazing how many people want to stop and chat offer advise etc.. I struck up many a conversation just by stopping to stroke peoples dogs. I got several life stories within 5mins! Almost everyone seemed to have the same opinion that if your willing to put in the effort out there in Oz you will be able to succeed. There's still a lot of scope for unique selling points over there and if he can't get on with building work I did notice they like their garden structures ie pergolas etc. Hope it all works out well for you x

What a positive, informative post. Thank you! I am also from Richmond-upon-Thames (born & bred in Twickenham) and know what you mean about Richmond Riverside!! :-)

My migrant visa has just been granted (I'm married to an Aussie) and we plan to head for the Sunshine Coast very soon, where we have family and I've found a great state school for my two young children. Glad you liked it on your visit!

Good to hear the positives about Brisbane too - everyone seems to harp on about Sydney and Melbourne (both great in theri own way, admittedly) and poor old Brisbane doesn't get a look in. You make it sound very appealing and I'm looking forward to exploring it even more now, after hearing a view from someone from my home turf.

Again, thanks for such a helpful, cheerful post and I wish you loads of good things and times ahead!

What a positive, informative post. Thank you! I am also from Richmond-upon-Thames (born & bred in Twickenham) and know what you mean about Richmond Riverside!! :-)

My migrant visa has just been granted (I'm married to an Aussie) and we plan to head for the Sunshine Coast very soon, where we have family and I've found a great state school for my two young children. Glad you liked it on your visit!

Good to hear the positives about Brisbane too - everyone seems to harp on about Sydney and Melbourne (both great in theri own way, admittedly) and poor old Brisbane doesn't get a look in. You make it sound very appealing and I'm looking forward to exploring it even more now, after hearing a view from someone from my home turf.

Again, thanks for such a helpful, cheerful post and I wish you loads of good things and times ahead!

How fantastic for you. Never been to the other cities but imagine they're a lot bigger. Absolutley loved Brissie, felt realy depressed having to walk round the shops in Kingston today. Brisbanes so clean and fresh looking and you have room to breathe. Hope it all goes well up in the SC, we really did love it up there. Please stay in touch and let me know how you get on. x

Guest Burchos
I'm sure your husband will be fine. Go out there and don't be afraid to talk to people. It's amazing how many people want to stop and chat offer advise etc.. I struck up many a conversation just by stopping to stroke peoples dogs. I got several life stories within 5mins! Almost everyone seemed to have the same opinion that if your willing to put in the effort out there in Oz you will be able to succeed. There's still a lot of scope for unique selling points over there and if he can't get on with building work I did notice they like their garden structures ie pergolas etc. Hope it all works out well for you x

Thank you! I hope all goes well for you when you move too.

Archived