Dogs with epilepsy

cki2011

Hello

We are moving to Perth next year and are hoping to take our dog he has epilepsy and we would like to hear if anyone else has taken their dog with this and if so how was the dog during the flight and in quarantine and was it worth it.

Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

To be honest I think you need to have a chat to your vet or better still chat with Bob at Petair who is both a vet and a pet transporter

To be honest I think you need to have a chat to your vet or better still chat with Bob at Petair who is both a vet and a pet transporter

Hello MTM

Thanks for the reply.... We have been speaking to bob at pet air and have a price for shipping him we have also spoken to our vet and Milo has been to the teaching hospital for vets in Hoylake where we have been told is one of the best to have mri scans and tests etc and we are monitoring things very closely but he had 2 more fits last night and we are thinking if we cant sort it he will have to stay here.

What i am interested in is how dogs with epilepsey cope with the heat as from what we are told by vets overheating is one thing that brings the fits on and we realise it can get very hot in Perth so if anyone has any info or experiance we would love any input as we desparately need to sort him out, we cant bear to leave him behind he is a masive part of our lives and one of the family now....

Hello MTM

Thanks for the reply.... We have been speaking to bob at pet air and have a price for shipping him we have also spoken to our vet and Milo has been to the teaching hospital for vets in Hoylake where we have been told is one of the best to have mri scans and tests etc and we are monitoring things very closely but he had 2 more fits last night and we are thinking if we cant sort it he will have to stay here.

What i am interested in is how dogs with epilepsey cope with the heat as from what we are told by vets overheating is one thing that brings the fits on and we realise it can get very hot in Perth so if anyone has any info or experiance we would love any input as we desparately need to sort him out, we cant bear to leave him behind he is a masive part of our lives and one of the family now....

Oh bless little Milo! Depends what time of year you go to Perth, our cat went to Perth in Jan and it was too hot, but maybe Milo could spend his time in sYdney and then just get a domestic flight to Perth after quaranteen, I have heard lots of good reports about dog walkers in SYdney which you dont get in perth etc, plus it is cooler in Sydney.

Oh bless little Milo! Depends what time of year you go to Perth, our cat went to Perth in Jan and it was too hot, but maybe Milo could spend his time in sYdney and then just get a domestic flight to Perth after quaranteen, I have heard lots of good reports about dog walkers in SYdney which you dont get in perth etc, plus it is cooler in Sydney.

Thanks for your reply.... it is heartbreaking when he has a fit and comes around not knowing where he is or what happened and we worry if he has one on the flight or in quarantine he will be scared as he doesnt know anyone there.... never thought i would have a problem like this when we decided to move. all the usual things to worry about dont seam as important at the moment until this is sorted....back at the vets tonight to up his meds hopefully this will work but we are getting near the limit his liver can handle now so running out of ideas....

Little Milo sounds just like me before we emigrated. I have epilepsy! I upped my meds, and added a different tablet after too many years on the originial one,with it not working as well as it should. I found out my meds were way above the limit and had been for months and months. I know the feeling of being scared after a fit, but that feeling only lasts few a few mins. What has the vet said about the flight etc? I would recommend Sydney rather than Perth, it is very hot in Perth and I know heat can bring fits on.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hello MTM

If between yourself and your vet you do decide to ship the only agent I would trust with my baby would be Bob.

How long has he been diagnosed with epilepsy. To be honest I didn't see an increased case load in epileptic dogs between the UK and AUS, and most of the dogs we saw were Kelpies. Is your little one on phenobarbitol?

Little Milo sounds just like me before we emigrated. I have epilepsy! I upped my meds, and added a different tablet after too many years on the originial one,with it not working as well as it should. I found out my meds were way above the limit and had been for months and months. I know the feeling of being scared after a fit, but that feeling only lasts few a few mins. What has the vet said about the flight etc? I would recommend Sydney rather than Perth, it is very hot in Perth and I know heat can bring fits on.

The vet has asked Hoylake for more advice on the meds so we will hear today when we go i will ask about changing the meds to see if a new approach may be needed. Pet air and our vet said he cant have his meds on the flight so he will miss a dose or two (more if there are any delays) so that in itself could set him back to square one and quarantine in Perth can only give the meds between 8am-4pm when he has his meds at 9am and again at 9pm we have asked the vet and he needs them 12 hrs apart to stay in his system.

If between yourself and your vet you do decide to ship the only agent I would trust with my baby would be Bob.

How long has he been diagnosed with epilepsy. To be honest I didn't see an increased case load in epileptic dogs between the UK and AUS, and most of the dogs we saw were Kelpies. Is your little one on phenobarbitol?

Yes you are right if he does go we would only use Pet air.... He is on two sorts of meds Epiphen and Libromide and at the moment he is on a very high dose his liver has enlarged and we have that to worry about. We have been told by our vet that as things stand she will not even consider signing the paperwork to send him so we really are desparate to sort him asap as we have to be there by 16 Fed 2013. he had his rabies and kenel cough a few weeks ago in case we can sort it so there are no delays....

The vet has asked Hoylake for more advice on the meds so we will hear today when we go i will ask about changing the meds to see if a new approach may be needed. Pet air and our vet said he cant have his meds on the flight so he will miss a dose or two (more if there are any delays) so that in itself could set him back to square one and quarantine in Perth can only give the meds between 8am-4pm when he has his meds at 9am and again at 9pm we have asked the vet and he needs them 12 hrs apart to stay in his system.

Have you looked into any other states and which ones provide more care to the animals, hopefully u will find one that can give him his meds when they are required. We started in Pertth, then flew our cat over to Sydney, very easy process.

Im not saying humans and dogs work in the same ways, but when I have run out of my meds I have not taken them for 2 days max, fair enough I could tell I hadnt taken them but thankfully each time I did not have a fit, like I say everybody/every animal is different.

Have you looked into any other states and which ones provide more care to the animals, hopefully u will find one that can give him his meds when they are required. We started in Pertth, then flew our cat over to Sydney, very easy process.

Im not saying humans and dogs work in the same ways, but when I have run out of my meds I have not taken them for 2 days max, fair enough I could tell I hadnt taken them but thankfully each time I did not have a fit, like I say everybody/every animal is different.

He missed a dose once before and was fine, then the next day had a few fits so i dont know if it is connected or not.... I have a few freinds who have epilepsy but never really thought about it as i never seen them fit but now after seeing milo i am starting to see what they must go through and you will know better than most it isnt nice at all.... we can only see what the vet says today.... i know some wont understand but it really is putting a big dampener on what is an amazing time for us as apart from this we cant wait to make the move....

I can only imagine, its heart breaking when they are healthy, so I feel for ya! See what the vet advises! Let me know what he/she says.

Just got back from the vet and Milo had more bloods done to determine what the next step is.... they have said there is a different drug he may be able to have which we can try but it is strong and expensive we will find out tomorrow afternoon what the plan of action is.... he has had two more fits since coming back from the vets so we are getting worried as it is clustering now which we have been trying to avoid....

Archived