Cruel to fly cat to UK from Perth?

missmouse

Hello.

I am due to leave Perth in April 2013, returning home to the UK to live. We have a cat here who is two this October. We really love her and when we got her we said we would take her back with us.

I'm just really worried that it's going to be the most stressful and frightening experience for her and I don't want to put her through that. But on the other hand, I don't want to re-home her to a stranger here.

Does anyone know what it would involve to take her back?

What is the cost and is it best to use a pet air company?

Will she go in a secure place in cargo so that her carrier doesn't move about when taking off and landing?

Will she be checked on?

Is the cargo going to be warm enough?

Can she fly on the same flight as us?

Can we go straight there without a long stopover?

Who will look after her during her transfer?

Who is the best airline to choose?

Will she be OK???

And does she need to go into quarantine in the UK, or can I take her straight home with me?

If anyone has any advice and/or reassurance I would be very grateful. I would like to stop fretting about it.

Many thanks. :)

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Missmouse, you have posted this in Bobs own forum, he is one of the best agents there is. I know he is away at the moment so not sure if he will reply immediately.

Can I just say though, 2 years is not old to bring a cat over. If you had said 12 then I may have thought a little more about it, but 2 isn't old at all. :hug:

Hi

thank you for your enquiry, we are unfortunately unable to assist with booking pets from Australia to the UK you would need to book this through an agent in Australia. I have however taken a look at your concerns and i hope that the following helps to ease your concerns about pet travel.

For the regulations from Australia to the UK you will need to liaise with an agent to confrim these.

For cost again it is best to double check with an Australian pet shipper

Pets travel in a specail cargo hold on the plane which is designed for pets, it is heated and pressurised the same as the area we travel in but it is kept dimly lit or darker than our cabin to help the pets settle and sleep for the journey.

they are not checked apon during the flight but will have their water topped up during any fuel stops on route, they do not travel accompanied by people as they are less likely to settle with people there with them.

We have had clients who have coordinated their flights with their pets again it is best to check with the pet shipping company in Australia on the best way to do this.

Pets are normally booked on the quickest route possible for them, they will have to do a stop on route for the re fuel but they only stop for the minimum transit time available.

As long as she has adhered to the entry requirements for the UK then your cat can travel home with you upon arrival in the UK.

I'm sorry we are unable to assist you with the booking and wish you all the best for your travels.