Best Ski Resort in the Antipodes ?

Blewyn

So which is it ? I'm looking for (ideally)

- plenty of red / black runs

- great restaurants

- real villages not fake resorts

- good digs (heated pools / hot tub, sauna etc, open fireplace)

- other activiities such as skidoo runs etc

My fave resort in Europe was Zermatt - obviously not going to get anthing like that here, but what comes closest ?

Nothing really compares to Europe, but I have skied at Thredbo and it was fun, but not particulary challenging. I spent three months in NZ over the ski season back in 1999, so know Cornet Peak, Remarkables, Cardrona and Treble Cone pretty well - they were all great. Wanaka is a really nice town (Treble Cone) Queenstown is great, lots going on. No real ski in ski out accommodation though, you'd need to hop on the ski bus or hire a car.

I have heard Japan is pretty amazing, and I'd always recommend the hike to Canada too!!

I've skied in Europe (Oz, NZ, India!) and Japan wins hands down - it's fabulous. You can ski all the Nagano Olympic runs and they'll be deserted and have powder up to your arm pits. Oz is very ordinary and very expensive - Japan is actually cheaper - I checked out lift passes/accommodation prices for another poster a while ago and Japan was much cheaper - once you get there!

Archived