WOOHOO!!!! Finally done it!!

Guest big_al

Guest big_al

Hi all,

You may have seen my thread a little while ago about me, the wife and pickles the cat trying to find out about as much as possible about moving to Australia. Well I've just got back from a little viewing trip one property better off.

After careful consideration from myself and a little nagging from the wife to say yes- we have bought a property in Sydney. So anyway apart from being 390,000 Aussie Dollars worse off I'm going to be sunning it up very soon!

All thats left now is to send the money over- which leads me to my next question? I've obviously been reffered to a currency company but not sure is they are the right people to go through! Has anyone had experiences with people in this industry if so can they forward the details to me please!

Thanks for your help once again!!

Big Al

Guest lindy_thom

Hi Al,

The best advice I can give is do not use your bank. To be completely honest I was in the exactly same predicament as you when I first started. Very confused and not knowing who to turn to I did what every girl does- I went and saw my dad!! He now lives in Spain, so has gone through everything before. Was a little afraid at the start especially when he said phone a broker. I was truly expecting some sort of tailored suit, slick talking city guy who only spoke in big words and technical jargon that for the life of me I wouldn't understand. To my surprise that's not what I got at all- right from the start I was appointed a "personal broker" who guided me through everything, one step at a time making it as easy as possible. I spoke to a gentlemen called ben can't remember for the life of me the company though but I'll ask my dad because it was the same company he used and let you know. To be honest I felt more comfortable with him after 5 mins than I have ever felt with my bank who I've been with for 20+ years. All in all I ended up saving over $5000 against my bank and the fact that I didn't have to move a muscle and they were available around the clock made everything so much more reassuring. Oh and trying to get your money where you need it on time is just a joke! I did my deposit through Barclays and the transfer took nearly as long as the exchanging of contracts.

Sorry just realised how much I've said- hope it helps though!!

How unlike a woman to ramble on!!

Linda x

Guest nicoak

Congratulations on your purchase. Good luck with your move down under.

Just to say we have registered with 3 different currency brokers, have traded them off against one another in order to get a better exchange rate. HIFX, OZTRANSFERS and Moneycorp.

Archived