Melbourne suburb help - Williamstown & Newport

mtb1979

Hi all, we're relocating to Melbourne come January next year. Does anyone know anything about the Williamstown/Newport (Melbourne) area and if it's a decent area to relocate to for a family (toddler) in terms of daycares, schools and lifestyle. We're a family of three and as the move is only a few months away the old pressure is starting to build....

Thanks for you help in advance!

Williamstown certainly does not have a great beach, it has a massive concrete pipe depositing Lord only knows what out in the shallows for a start. It has a city beach, very average.

But it is a good town, we went there a lot when we lived near Melbourne, and its ideal for access into the city which you can see from the harbour at Williamstown. Quite a few British live there too which might help. Loads of good coffee shops and restaurants too. The houses are expensive though and a lot are run down, but nice and old in style.

Newport I think is really horrible but its a very desirable place to live and really expensive too.

Guest The Pom Queen
Williamstown certainly does not have a great beach, it has a massive concrete pipe depositing Lord only knows what out in the shallows for a start. It has a city beach, very average.

But it is a good town, we went there a lot when we lived near Melbourne, and its ideal for access into the city which you can see from the harbour at Williamstown. Quite a few British live there too which might help. Loads of good coffee shops and restaurants too. The houses are expensive though and a lot are run down, but nice and old in style.

Newport I think is really horrible but its a very desirable place to live and really expensive too.

Compared to the UK beaches where we were, I will stand by what I said Williamstown beach is lovely

Guest The Pom Queen
Where were you in the UK?

Its not bad for a city beach but your Far North Queensland beaches are what I would class as great beaches (anyway, as we have said before, its all opinions anyway, your idea of a great beach may be different to mine!)

Oh don't get me wrong, yes there are better beaches up here but for Melbourne I don't think it's bad at all. We were in Manchester so our local beach use to be Blackpool

Thanks guys! I'm actually a Kiwi who has lived in London for a number of years. Thank you for your honest responses, if that is the case can you recommend an area of Melbourne which is close to the beaches which is still affordable to live. To start with we will be renting then looking at houses to buy hopefully sooner than later!

Oh well in that case Moving to Melbourne I agree entirely! Manchester is great I think but Blackpool I never understood.

I think, for me, you sum it up when you say "for Melbourne its not bad". I agree with that. Nobody should come to Melbourne for beaches (one day I will work out why on earth we chose it, oh yes, thats right, it was my idea!!)

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks guys! I'm actually a Kiwi who has lived in London for a number of years. Thank you for your honest responses, if that is the case can you recommend an area of Melbourne which is close to the beaches which is still affordable to live. To start with we will be renting then looking at houses to buy hopefully sooner than later!

It depends how close to the city you want to be, Mornington Pensinula is my favourite

Archived