Second working holiday visa question

Guest FayeFaye

Guest FayeFaye

Hi Guys,

I have been regularly visiting this site and reading with interest for the past few months but this is my first time posting a thread. I was wondering if anyone could shed a light on our situation and the best option for us. Basically myself and my partner Quinn are both looking to move to Australia asap (potentially just for 12 months). The problem is that he has already used his 1st working holiday visa and unfortunately whilst he was in australia he broke his leg quite seriously and as a result was unable to complete the 3 months work. So we are left in a position whereby i can get a WHV but he can't get an extension. Am i right in saying there is no scope for extenuating circumstances as he was unable to complete the work due to his injury?

Also does anyone know what the terms of a 977 visa are and whether he could actively look for work if entering Australia under this visa?

We are trying to avoid the skilled migration route as his occupation is on the list but he hasn't yet got enough experience in his field to apply and we would really like to go before we have children etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Hi Faye Faye,

Firstly welcome to the site - I hope you will get the answers you are looking for.

I'm not an expert but I do believe you find it pretty hard to persuade the powers that be to extend your partners WHV - hopefully somebody more knowledgeable than me will confirm this later and answer your question re the 977 visa

All the best in your plans

NWM

Sorry if he didnt do the 3 months work - he will not be eligible. WHV is once in a life time - and you can only get the 2nd one if you put in the work to get it, nobody is automatically entitled to it.

He wouldnt be eligible for the 977 visa since this is for "attending educational or business related meetings, seminars, conventions, conferences, or networking", he would need to prove all seminars meetings etc. Immigration can check up on this.

The only option for him would be a tourist visa - you can apply for longer ones 6 or 12 months but likely that if found employer to sponsor him he would not be able to apply for a visa onshore due to poss having No Further Stay Condition on his visa. He would need to show that he had enough funds to support himself for the duration of his stay. He also would need to be wary of carrying any documents relating to qualifications - as if stoped at the boarder with these on a Visitors visa - could have visa cancelled sent home with a 3 year ban.

Has he tried to get sponsorship from applying for jobs from the UK??

You should run through your options with a registered migration agent.

Guest FayeFaye
Sorry if he didnt do the 3 months work - he will not be eligible. WHV is once in a life time - and you can only get the 2nd one if you put in the work to get it, nobody is automatically entitled to it.

He wouldnt be eligible for the 977 visa since this is for "attending educational or business related meetings, seminars, conventions, conferences, or networking", he would need to prove all seminars meetings etc. Immigration can check up on this.

The only option for him would be a tourist visa - you can apply for longer ones 6 or 12 months but likely that if found employer to sponsor him he would not be able to apply for a visa onshore due to poss having No Further Stay Condition on his visa. He would need to show that he had enough funds to support himself for the duration of his stay. He also would need to be wary of carrying any documents relating to qualifications - as if stoped at the boarder with these on a Visitors visa - could have visa cancelled sent home with a 3 year ban.

Has he tried to get sponsorship from applying for jobs from the UK??

You should run through your options with a registered migration agent.

Thanks for your advice lebourvellec,

I know the 2nd WHV is not an entitlement, hence why i said the following 'So we are left in a position whereby i can get a WHV but he can't get an extension. Am i right in saying there is no scope for extenuating circumstances as he was unable to complete the work due to his injury?'

We have spoken to two migration agents, one of which was recommended to me by a family we met in Aus and the other from on here, one asked for £800 to 'try' a skills assessment with no real idea if it would be accepted and the other forgot to call me back so many times i eventually gave up chasing him.

The problem is my partner is a Mechanical Aerospace Engineer however he isn't degree educated only HNC which isn't recognised by EA. Plus i can't help but feel the whole migration thing is far too costly for a young couple in their 20's trying to get by.

Anyway thanks for your comments

You need to meet the criteria for 2nd WHV if you dont you are not eligible. There are no waivers to the 3 months regional work, DIAC would be inundated with reasons why people didnt do the regional work.

Having only a HNC you may struggle to get a positive skills assessment.

Employer sponsorship may be your only option.