Vetassess carpenter assessment!?!?!

Guest wmiles1982

Guest wmiles1982

Hi guys, girls.

Im in the process of getting all the paperwork together to apply for my skills assessment via Vetassess. I'm a little unsure about the amount of evidence I have to supply. Do I have to submit photographic/ video evidence of myself on site carrying out all aspects of my related trade competencies?

Just wondering if anyone has been through the Vetassess process who is a carpenter and what exactly I have to do. My communication with Vetassess so far hasn't really given me much info.

Any info would be much appreciated.

photographic evidence of you doing a job from start to finish ie. photo of no skirting on a wall, you cutting skirting and nailing it into place. You will need photos of three different jobs. Vetesses is a doddle if you actually work as a carpenter. The task i had to do was a section of a hip roof with your ridge running into a stud. There is a lot of questions on the theory, safety, scaffolding, site levelling and questions mainly based on construction. Hope this helps, also bring a level cordless and some hand tools.

Guest wmiles1982

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated.

The employer statements and all the other documents Vetassess require aren't an issue but the amount of on site evidence I may have to supply was confusing me a bit. I have just had an email from Vetassess and they have said that I do not need to supply any on site evidence at all!!!!

Hi

We OH had vetassess assessment for carpentry and we submitted, references, tax returns and photgraph of some fo the jobs he has worked on. I would include anything that deomonstrates the work you have done ie doors, roofs, etc as you cant provide too much. The assessment is a doddle according to my husband, but it depends on your experience, as joinery is such a wide variety of skill sets. There were people that struggled at his assessment day because they have never done roofs, my OH has dont a wide variety of joinery so he was done by lunchtime.

For the practical which he did in March 2012 he had to do a hipped roof attached to a stud wall and an opening for a door. The rest was lots of health and safety question - ie how certain things a constructed and the processes for "how would you do this.." etc.

Hope this helps

Lisa

Guest wmiles1982

Hi,

Many thanks for your comments guys, this site is fantastic and I wish I had joined earlier.

Another question (there are going to be heaps more I feel).

Realisticly, from my initial paper based application to Vetassess, how long would it generally take to go through to the practical, pass and receive my positive skills assessment??

Guest wmiles1982

I'm lucky flatpack because since leaving my apprenticeship I have only worked for 3 companies. Current employer 6 years, previous 3 and first 2 years.

The only issue I have is that as off last month I am now 'off the tools' and I'm a site supervisor! My current employer doesn't know of my plans to emigrate and I am really worried about how I am going to provide Vetassess with on site practical evidence of me carrying out carpentry tasks. I can't really turn up for work one day without my shirt and tie on, get my tools out and have some photo's taken without my managers finding out!!!

All of my other evidence will be spot on but like i say I'm stressing about what to do!!!

I'm lucky flatpack because since leaving my apprenticeship I have only worked for 3 companies. Current employer 6 years, previous 3 and first 2 years.

The only issue I have is that as off last month I am now 'off the tools' and I'm a site supervisor! My current employer doesn't know of my plans to emigrate and I am really worried about how I am going to provide Vetassess with on site practical evidence of me carrying out carpentry tasks. I can't really turn up for work one day without my shirt and tie on, get my tools out and have some photo's taken without my managers finding out!!!

All of my other evidence will be spot on but like i say I'm stressing about what to do!!!

Come and work for me for the day!!! I won't charge you much :laugh:

Hi

Ours took quite some time from intital vetasses submission to finalised, due to Vetassess being so slow! I think there is a bit of luck involved, as our first stage came back quite quickly but then we had to wait 3 months to get a practical date. My advice is to keep pestering Vetassess when you are trying to book a practical.

We didnt include any pictures of my OH on the tools

Lisa

Hey,ive just completed the vetassess process,got my AQF III certificate through yesterday. I provided quite a few pictures of my work but none of them had me in them as i was taking the pictures. so just take some pictures of any chippy work and just make out its yours and they will be none the wiser.:biggrin:

Archived