Heart worm tablets

Tinaandco

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Tina, have they been tested for heartworm yet? If not please get them tested before starting the tablets as it can be dangerous otherwise.

Guest The Pom Queen
No one has told me that! I popped into a vets and she just said how much the tablets or the injection was !! Can I get them tested while they are in quarrantine then ?

They will have a duty vet who visits, so just ask if they can do this for you.

Guest The Pom Queen
Do you know how much this will cost ?

It depends if the vet is going to charge you a consult fee on top. We use to charge $54 but I know prices can go up to $80 ish you always need to ring round

Guest Guest16631

.........needed to make an appointment for mine so asked our vet............for a 6 kilo dog.......used one of mine for example

..............yearly injection..........for heart worm....45 .....dollars

....or...........6 months worth of monthly tablets......32 .......dollars

.................test for heart worm............38 .50.....

...................consultation................53.........dollars

...................this is in northern suburbs of Brisbane and prices do vary ............but hope it helps a little bit.........tink x

Guest The Pom Queen
So do they need a blood test first to see if they need the tablets ? They didn't tell me that in the vets I went into ! Xx

They need a blood test if they are over 6 months to check they haven't already got heart worm, if they haven't then you will use a preventative treatment, you have a choice which to use

Sentinel Spectrum – monthly flavoured tablets also control fleas and intestinal worms.

ProHeart SR-12 – once-a-year injection - Personally I think this is the best option when you have their annual boosters

Revolution – monthly liquid applied to the back of the neck. Also kills fleas and Ticks

Interceptor – monthly flavoured tablets that also control most intestinal worms.

Heartgard – monthly chewables or tablets.

ProHeart – monthly tablets.

Guest The Pom Queen
.........needed to make an appointment for mine so asked our vet............for a 6 kilo dog.......used one of mine for example

..............yearly injection..........for heart worm....45 .....dollars

....or...........6 months worth of monthly tablets......32 .......dollars

.................test for heart worm............38 .50.....

...................consultation................53.........dollars

...................this is in northern suburbs of Brisbane and prices do vary ............but hope it helps a little bit.........tink x

It's that consultation fee that makes the price higher, not for you Tink but to the OP see if you can get a vet who will not charge the consult fee.

Guest Guest16631
Hi Tink, so did you leave it till they got out of quarrantine then ? Xx

...............mine were all born here lol..............just thought some idea of price might help..........looks like M2M ..........has covered all options...............prices vary from vet to vet also where you buy the products from.........I find the produce stores a little cheaper..........( place that sells chicken food...hay.....small farm goods etc) .............good luck with your fur babies.......tink x

Guest The Pom Queen
Sorry to be a pest but do you think it can wait till they are out of quarrantine ?

There are no guarantees and I wouldn't like to say yes and something happen, but personally if it was my dog then I would wait until they were out.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I walk dogs at spotswood aqis and a client told me a similar thing - that he didnt realize that dogs should have heart worm protection in Australia. I would have thought they need it everywhere in the world?

Anyway, vets say to get it in Melbourne, even though the chance of getting it is worse out in the outer suburb bush land areas. I used to get a yearly injection for my dog, but now I just use spectrum (does it all). For my clients at spotswood, I just bought their dog the chewable tablets (last one month) and they can continue it on afterwards.

I have never heard not to give heart worm tabs if your dog is infested, but I know that if you dont cover your dog, and the worms go from babies into adult, that it can kill your dog, and the only option is expensive surgery so yes, I keep my dog up to date with heart worm protection.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have never heard not to give heart worm tabs if your dog is infested,.

Working in the veterinary world for over 20 years, 3 of those in Melbourne, I can tell you it can be dangerous. If you don't want to take my word read this http://www.heartwormsociety.org/pet-owner-resources/faqs.html#q12

[h=4]Why do dogs need to be blood tested before starting heartworm medication?[/h]ANSWER Before starting a preventive program, all dogs should be tested for heartworms. Giving preventives to dogs that have adult heartworm infection can be harmful or even fatal to the pet.

Adult heartworms produce millions of microscopic "baby" heartworms (called microfilaria) into the bloodstream. When you give a monthly heartworm preventive to a dog with circulating microfilaria, this can cause the sudden death of microfilaria, triggering a shock-type reaction. Even if your dog does not have this type of reaction, heartworm preventives do not kill the adult heartworms (although they may shorten the worms' life expectancy). This means an infected dog will remain infected with adult heartworms.

Unfortunately, as long as a pet remains infected, heartworm disease will progress and damage the heart and lungs, which can lead to life threatening problems. Giving heartworm preventives to heartworm-positive dogs can mislead an owner into thinking everything is all right, while within a pet, heartworm disease is worsening.

Guest The Pom Queen
The pig has took to gardening , burying her sausages n the garden wtf all that about , she's on a diet cos she's fat

That's so that she has a secret stash for supper.

Melbourne vets suggest that all dogs should get heartworm protection, as even if it is less likely in urban areas, an adult heartworm is likely to kill your dog, and you will need surgery.

You can use any of the short term tablets (monthly doses) as soon as you can, and then arrange a long term option once they are released. Cheers. Bruce

Archived