Going to Melbourne

Guest yazaid

Guest yazaid

Hi All,

I got my Visa and I will be going to Melbourne within 1 to 3 months from now. Is anyone of you going there or is already there?

Guest yazaid
Where in Melbourne are you going? It is quite a large place, very sprawly indeed.

I still don't know starlight7, I'm trying to make friends in Melbourne before my arrival so that I at least go to where they are. However if I couldn't make some friends before my arrival I'm afraid I have to choose randomly. I've checked online places where many shops are around such as flinders street, collins and bourke street but I don't know how expensive these places are.

My budget for accommodation is 250 A$ or 300 A$ maximum.

Are you already there in Melbourne?

Hey,

I'm off with my hubby and 1yo next month. He's got a job at Deerpark so will be looking to settle within 30 min commuting distance from there - a long way out of the city relatively speaking. We live in the Peak District and love the outdoors so hoping to continue with that theme where-ever we end up settling.

His parents live in Greensborough but we've decided against living in a suburban sprawl. I just want to get out for a drive around I can find a nice area, I've heard the west of Melb isn't as nice as the east by a long way, but that is hearsay!

Oh Collins St and Bourke St would cost you about $200 per night ( plus) - it is the CBD, not a place to live unless you are a millionaire! Do you mean $250 per week ? You wouldn't get anything near the centre for that unless it is very , very tiny. You could go out on the railway line to the suburbs and get a small unit ( flat) for that or even a small house- out round Boronia, FTGully etc you would be right. About 50 mins from town centre by train. Check out www.realestate.com.au ( rent) and write in ' Victoria' and then whatever suburb you are thinking of. Make sure it is near the railway or tramline unless you plan to get a car straight away.

Where are you going to be working? That ill probably determine the place you will live.

Your budget may get you a shared pad close to the cbd or a 1/2 bed outside......im being honest here. Its not cheap to start again....get saving your pennies. Lots of brits i know settle in richmond, prahran, st kilda due to working in the city. Then those with families tend to hit the outer suburbs.

Good luck!!

Guest yazaid

Hey starlight7, Anna333, Ratchet,

I've heard about something called "homestay" where you find a family who's willing to offer you a room to rent in their house. I digged deeper into this and I found a website called http://www.homestayfinder.com and another http://www.homestayweb.com , through them I found a family in "18 Colin Rd Clayton" (you can check it via http://www.showmystreet.com )

and another one in "1/ 499 Spencer Street

Melbourne VIC 3000"

what do you think about these two places? and do you think that the family option is good for someone who's going to come alone for the first time in Melbourne?

Archived