Black Labrador and Renting

Aussieange

Hi All,

I'm in the throes of organising the big move, and most importantly is making sure my 9 year old lab can share the adventure. I'm going to be renting for a little while, and I see most places don't allow doggies. Just wondering how people have got round this?

Thanks,

Ange

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Ange

Do you want your thread moving or are you hoping to get a quote from Bob for moving your lab?

Dear Angela

I can do you a quote, but you should get the post moved as renting a house with a dog is not my area of expertise, you need to speak to someone who has done it. I think it is more difficult, but people do rent houses fine.

Ref quotes by the time you have paid for flight/crate/vet work/permits/quarantine it will be around £4000 ish all in.

If you want a more formal quote then email me at bob@petairuk.com and i can definitely help. The key thing is to get the rabies work done 5-12 months before your flight date so your boy only has to serve the minimum quarantine stay.

Anything else give me a shout.

Bob

WE're renting with a golden lab and didn't have too much trouble. THe key is to speak with the agents and they'll guide you as to which places are more likely to accept pets. You may need to pay an extra pet bond (we didn't) and be prepared to look for a while if you're after somewhere in a v. popular area :)

BTW the contract will almost certainly make you agree to keep the dog outside - just nod, smile and sign away. You'll need to steam clean carpets afterwards anyway :)

We found a place to rent with our two dogs without too much trouble, and in fact it was our favourite house after a (long) day viewing. Some adverts said no pets, but many didn't say either way. We viewed without mentioning the dogs, and then discussed them with the agent when we made an offer, having hopefully already made a good impression! We had references with us as well. The house is tiled throughout but we still have a clause about extra cleaning at the end of the tenancy. We haven't had to pay an increased bond.

Thanks for replying doggie lovers :) - it's nuts isn't it, how can a labrador ruin anything when they sleep 23 hours a day & the other hour they are hanging around waiting to be fed?!

Can I ask what you did in the interim when all your worldly possessions were on a slow boat from the UK? Did you rent somewhere furnished or go into corporate accommodation for the 8-12 weeks?

Thanks, Ange

Archived