Translation of Documents

Candygirl

We have tax returns for the last 7 years (4 for each year - in Spain we pay our tax and VAT each quarter).

I am planning on having them translated, but the lawyer who is going to do it for us has asked how much detail we need to provide. The tax returns here are quite indepth and a lot more detailed than the UK tax returns. Our lawyer is charging 12c per word, so I would prefer to keep the translations to a minimum.

If you have had docs translated, what did you do?

I had my French and Spanish accounts translated plus all the company statutes.

The translator needs to be NAATI registered for immigration, you'd have to check if your lawyer is on the website or if he is farming it out to someone.

On my first tranche, I went with the agents recommendation, a translation house, very expensive. For the next lot, i got quotes direct from individuals on the NAATI website and got much better rates.

Documents have to be translated exactly, every word on the page.

Your lawyer, if he is a NAATI translator should know exactly what needs translating and how it should be done. The fact he is asking you should raise a question.

Make sure you confirm that he is actually NAATI registered by looking him up on the website, if he isn't you will be wasting money as the translations will not be accepted by DIAC.

Hi, I am seeing him tmoz morning. I was trying to find prices before I saw him so that I was in a better bargaining position. I have contacted a company in Canberra and am also waiting for them to give me a quote.

Thanks. I will check to see if he is on the NAATI website.

They don't have to be NAATI qualified if you are applying from outside Australia. In case of Spanish I would shop around online, there should be plenty of translators in the US that do Spanish to English.

Thanks. I have looked on the NAATI website and there are none listed for Spain or the UK which I thought was odd. There are of course loads based in Australia. I am waiting for a quote from a Co in ACT and will also speak to my lawyer (who is a Spanish Government approved translator) and will see what they both quote. It seems anything to do with "this process" proves to be on the expensive side!

Hi, Like you I have lived in Spain within the last 12 years and needed a police record check from the Ministerio de Justicia (3 working day turnaround). I got a few quotes here and from the NAATI website and they were all the same give or take 2/3 dollars. I used Graciela Vicente in SA and the whole process took 12 hours from receiving her quote, to her emailing me the pdf translation at a total cost of $57.50 inc a copy posted to the UK. Now I was lucky enough to have an Australian bank account so I could transfer the fee to her through online n banking, if you don’t have an Australian bank account then you might have to wait on a check clearing. Could not recommend her enough and the translation looks great with an official stamp and lots of information for immi to contact her if necessary. This is a copy of the quote I received - if anyone would like her email address, please PM me and I will provide it.

"Minimum fee: AU$30.00 covers up to 100 words (Please be aware that numbers are counted, for example a date or a code is counted as one word. Then 30 cents per each additional word.

Extract translations of Birth, Marriage, Death certificates, Family Book Entries, Baptism Certificates : AU$30.00 per extract

Driver’s Licences: AU$30.00 per licence.

All my translations are printed with my letterhead, carry a translator’s certification , my NAATI stamp and my signature.

Your document contains 175 words therefore the price would be AU $ 52.50. I can do it in 24 hours and post it to you or I can send you an electronic copy of the translation by email. Postage in Australia is included in the price unless you want Express Post in which case you must add AU $5.50 to the quoted price). For postage overseas you must add AU$5.00 for standard postage.

Because of the bad debts I now require payment to be made in advance. It can be by direct deposit to my bank account . You send the bank receipt as proof of payment so that I can start working straight away. If you are making a transfer from overseas you have you add a 10 % surcharge as that it is what I am charged here from overseas transfers

Hope this information is useful to you but if you have any doubts do not hesitate to get in touch with me again

Good luck with everything!"

Hope this helps anyone needing advice

Archived