Moving to Terrigal

ccfcsean

[h=2]Moving to terrigal nsw 27-11-2012[/h]

Hi, as above I have booked my flight and taken the plunge! Am quitting a decent job to move over so am a bit of a nervous wreck at the moment wondering if I have done the right thing!

I have a mate living in TERRIGAL who I will be staying with over Christmas so was wondering if anyone knew if there is alot of work up that area, I think the sooner I get a job obviously the easier it will be to settle and meet new people. I have read that it is quite difficult getting bar work? Will take anything to ride me over until crimbo an new years, if ive settled I will then look for something a bit more stable.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Sean

Don't know about bar work specifically mate, but Terrigal - and the whole of the Central Coast to be honest - is very, very quiet compared to Sydney. Yes, it's only an hour and a bit north of Sydney, but it's worlds apart. The only town of any size is Gosford, and it's nothing to write home about. Terrigal is one of the nicer places on the Coast, but it's tiny. Think of a little holiday town in North Wales... somewhere like Abersoch. It's probably not even that big!

Sydney would have infinitely more job options for you, but the cost of living is a lot higher. I live in Sydney and work in Gosford, so I'm always weighing up the pros and cons, checking out my options etc and I saw a couple of weeks ago that for what we pay in rental for our two bed unit, we could get a 4 bedroom detached house with a pool on the Central Coast.

I don't mean to be a prophet of doom, but please do be aware that you're going to a quiet little backwater! It could well be difficult to find something.

HTH

Tarby

Cheers for the head up mate. My plan was to maybe get some work locally until I decide what I'm going to do. I'm coming over on my own so wanted to stay at my mates over Christmas, don't fancy spending it alone anyhow ha. I could commute from terrigal to Sydney then as you do to gosforth, I know the key is getting work early so I best wait to buy a set of golf clubs and hit the agencies hard! Just hope something comes up. Thanks again.

No probs mate, you're welcome. The commute to Sydney is just about do-able in a car, but possibly not on the train.... I tried it for a week and it was taking a total of 2h20m each way on two trains and a bus, and that was if they all lined up nicely! Most folks seem to move to the coast a) because they can't stand the commute anymore or b) for lifestyle reasons. Plenty of good golf courses for you on the coast, and you'd be close to the Hunter Valley too :)

Ok cool, I may look into getting a car ASAP then, maybe an estate for my clubs ;) .. I've heard there are quite a lot of sales jobs that offer sponsorships, that would be ideal as its predominately my background, I just wonder how the australians would take to a Brit trying to sell to them???

Guest guest30085

Hi and welsome to PIO

Are you going over on a Working holiday Visa?

If you are going to a more rural part to start with, I would be looking for Regional work to start with, get your three months done, and then you can apply for a 2nd year visa, you will still be restricted to working for anyone for no more than six months at each employment, but at least it will extend your stay.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

Good luck with your move and have a great adventure :)

Edited: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/backpacking-whv/

Try the Backpacking/WHV forum - there are some fruit picking/regional work posted in there sometimes

Yes going on the WHV but am in 2 minds on how to go about my time in OZ. my mate has emigrated and is settled up in NSW so I will be staing for him for a month or so. My dilemma is do I then go and travel by myself or do I setup home by my mate and hopefully land a job for 6 months with the option of sponsorship, I know that would be difficult so maybe it's best to go over there and go with the flow?

Cheers for the advice Adonna

Guest guest30085

Hi

You may get lucky and find someone to sponsor you on a 457 after having worked for someone for six months on the WHV, but if you do the Regional work as soon as you can, at least then you have a further 18 - 21 months to find a possible sponsor. Staying wth your friend at least gives you a base when you first land, but if the opportunity comes for the regional work, I would undertake that asap, then you have a lot longer to find a potential sponsor for a 457.

It will all be a great adventure either way :)

Ok cool, I may look into getting a car ASAP then, maybe an estate for my clubs ;) .. I've heard there are quite a lot of sales jobs that offer sponsorships, that would be ideal as its predominately my background, I just wonder how the australians would take to a Brit trying to sell to them???

Sydney really is not within commuting distance of Terrigal, in car or on the train. It might be an ok drive at the weekend or outside rush hour but you are looking at a couple of hours each way commute otherwise. Traffic into and out of Sydney is very slow in rush hour.

Job opportunities will be much better in Sydney too, perhaps you should think about basing yourself there and then just visiting your friend at weekends and indeed for Christmas?

Yeah sounds like an idea thanks rupert. I think I will live with him for a few weeks until I get a job in Sydney then try and find a room share in the city. He said I can stay for as long as I want but would want to get settled ASAP.

Thanks again.

Guest littlesarah

You could try bars and restaurants in Terrigal and surrounds, as it is very busy in the Summer months; however students tend to get in early to get work (uni finishes for Summer late November). If you're thinking of trying to get bar work, you'll need an RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate.

I commuted from Kariong to Sydney, but only for a short while (months) back in 2003 - Kariong is a lot closer to the station than Terrigal, and I was working in North Sydney. It wasn't too horrendous, but I was able to get a lift to the station every day, and my employer let me work 7.00-3.00, otherwise it would have taken a lot longer to get there. If you're only thinking of commuting for a short time, I reckon it'd be tolerable (just).

Your other option is Newcastle, if you can get some work there. I sometimes have to commute to Newcastle, and whilst it is a bit of a pain, there are no tolls and the traffic isn't too bad (esp compared to Sydney). It takes me an hour and 45 minutes door to door from Forresters Beach to Hunter Street.

Make sure you get out of Terrigal and have a look at the surrounding areas - it's lovely up here, and you'll find Terrigal and Avoca areas get extremely busy ('little Sydney') - but other beaches are a lot less busy and very pretty.

Guest Guest40285

Good luck mate, I lived in Terrigal for 4 years and hated it, commuted on the freeway to Sydney 6 days a week, nightmare but if your up early enough its OK, but only OK, Littlesarah is right about your RSA you will have to do your RSG as well if you work in a pub or club that has poker machines, its hard work trying to find work on the Central coast, heaps of people commute, Gosford is a hole my eldest was born in the hospital there. I wish you all the luck, Newcastle is an option for sure or come up this way to Byron loads of bar work up here. Happy days buddy.

Cheers Matt.

You could try bars and restaurants in Terrigal and surrounds, as it is very busy in the Summer months; however students tend to get in early to get work (uni finishes for Summer late November). If you're thinking of trying to get bar work, you'll need an RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate.

I commuted from Kariong to Sydney, but only for a short while (months) back in 2003 - Kariong is a lot closer to the station than Terrigal, and I was working in North Sydney. It wasn't too horrendous, but I was able to get a lift to the station every day, and my employer let me work 7.00-3.00, otherwise it would have taken a lot longer to get there. If you're only thinking of commuting for a short time, I reckon it'd be tolerable (just).

Your other option is Newcastle, if you can get some work there. I sometimes have to commute to Newcastle, and whilst it is a bit of a pain, there are no tolls and the traffic isn't too bad (esp compared to Sydney). It takes me an hour and 45 minutes door to door from Forresters Beach to Hunter Street.

Make sure you get out of Terrigal and have a look at the surrounding areas - it's lovely up here, and you'll find Terrigal and Avoca areas get extremely busy ('little Sydney') - but other beaches are a lot less busy and very pretty.

Im coming over 27th of November so hopefully the students will leave me at least 1 job! Have heard about the RSA course so will take that soon after arriving.. Sounds like a fair distance from terrigal to sydney so I'll just see what opportunities arise and then go from there, I doubt I'll stay in terrigal so will take an work an see where it leads me

Cool, will look up how far terrigal to Newcastle is, have only searched for jobs in sydney so will have a gander at up there too.. You live up near terrigal yourself?

Good luck mate, I lived in Terrigal for 4 years and hated it, commuted on the freeway to Sydney 6 days a week, nightmare but if your up early enough its OK, but only OK, Littlesarah is right about your RSA you will have to do your RSG as well if you work in a pub or club that has poker machines, its hard work trying to find work on the Central coast, heaps of people commute, Gosford is a hole my eldest was born in the hospital there. I wish you all the luck, Newcastle is an option for sure or come up this way to Byron loads of bar work up here. Happy days buddy.

Cheers Matt.

Cheers Matt, I will definitely look into Newcastle and Byron for work as soon as I arrive, am coming over on the 27th of November, bare me in mind if you hear of anything mate :biggrin:

Archived