Any general fitters (mechanical) out there ?

Hi, I was wondering if there are any general fitters (mechanical) out there either thinking about making the move or who have made the move. Have you managed to secure work or is it a case of going out there and hoping it doesn't take long to find work? I have seen plenty of vacancies for welders or fitters with mining machinery experience but how about straightforward fmcg (factory) production environment jobs ? Would love to here peoples views on whether they feel fitters can survive the move.

:confused::confused::confused:

• 1 year later...

My husband and I have just obtained a 189 visa and are due to make the move in a few months. He is a mechanical fitter/turner/machinist and does a lot of site work for big companies like Cadury's and Kellogg's etc. We did a gap year out in Aus in 2008 and he found a turning job, for a company that makes sprockets, in Melbourne within a week of arriving but now we're emigrating and looking at the Gold Coast area we're struggling to find that much work for him... can I ask where you've seen all the minining machinary jobs advertised as that's what he wants to get in to but we are struggling!

• 2 months later...
Hi, I was wondering if there are any general fitters (mechanical) out there either thinking about making the move or who have made the move. Have you managed to secure work or is it a case of going out there and hoping it doesn't take long to find work? I have seen plenty of vacancies for welders or fitters with mining machinery experience but how about straightforward fmcg (factory) production environment jobs ? Would love to here peoples views on whether they feel fitters can survive the move.

:confused::confused::confused:

Hi my OH is a maintenance fitter. We have 2 years left on a PR 175 visa but he has struggled to find work whilst here in the UK.

Have you managed to find anything yet?

I am currently in the frame of mind that we won't make it out there and will end up staying here I the UK due to the higher cost of living in Oz as OH thinks we will be worse off.

It's such a big move, how do you know if your doing the right thing and don't end up homeless, jobless & pennyless if it doesn't work out?:wacko:

Archived