ILETS Comment

Incata

Hi all

I've seen a lot of posts on the ILETS and thought (as I have a glass of wine in hand) that I would stick my two penny worth in.

I think it is great that the Australians ask for evidence of English ability, even if you are born and bred in the UK. Prior to going to Australia I had not considered it, thought it just a money making scheme and was thoroughly disparaging about it. However, when we went to Perth, I ended up in hospital after a severe reaction to something in washing up liquid (never happened before or since). I went to hospital and my condition worsened rapidly.

I was treated by a bunch of ex-British doctors and nurses (predominantly from Wales - and yes I had a lot of comments about rugby, unsurprisingly). However, all of them spoke excellent English, they communicated really well what was going on, and at no point did I feel in danger because the doctor or nurse did not speak, or understand English. Over here, I have had doctors in A&E ask me what sesame seeds are (my one known allergy). One doctor even asked me if it was a type of drug and I had to explain to him that it is the type of seeds that frequently end up on the top of burger buns. He asked what a burger bun was. I thought he was joking, and felt very frightened when I realised he was serious. I was 30 weeks pregnant, suffering with shortness of breathe, and promptly discharged myself on the grounds I had more chance of surviving the night back home. I saw the hospital (some distance away) I was registered to give birth at, the following morning, and the problem was solved (iron deficiency).

Doctors and nurses are all required to do the Academic ILETS, and thank goodness they are. When you are struggling to breathe, in a strange environment with nobody with you, and you suddenly end up in critical care, you want them to speak to you in a language that you understand. Why is it than in Australia they can manage that, and in the UK we can't? I would suggest that much of it is down to the ILETS exam.

I also want my children to be taught by people who speak, read and understand at a good standard of English. Again, the ILETS ensures that this will happen. Now I appreciate that if you are a hairdresser, or a tradesman, you may not feel that it matters what level your English is at.

What if you are dealing with a little old lady or gentleman, with poor hearing, who is trying to make you understand what they want? If your level of English is poor, they could end up unnecessarily stressed, with work done they don't want, or the wrong work done altogether. Then imagine that that little old lady or gentleman is your gran or grandad, or your mum or dad, or one-day, you and the subsequent distress that could cause. Wouldn't you want that person to be able to communicate effectively so that they, or you, get the service you deserve? I know that for my gran, who lives hundreds of miles away, the only person she sees week in, week out is her hairdresser, and the conversations she has with her, make her day and when we talk in the evenings, she is delighted to have had a gossip with someone who understands her.

Now I appreciate that many of you will be doing the General rather than the Academic and it is somewhat easier (having done the practice tests for both), but in my experience, the levels they have set are appropriate and I am glad they take such a tough stance over it. It may only make a small difference in many cases, to the people whose lives you will be touching, but those small differences can add up to big ones.

I therefore think that the £150 or however much your individual centre charges, is worth every penny to make sure that the people who get into Australia, can have a positive impact on the lives of those already there. There are lots of practice books available, lots of free advice available online and many test centres will provide up to 30 hours free access to previous tests via online portals, so there is no excuse for not preparing for it. It is not as though it is unexpected, or you suddenly get a call to say "turn up today, at x location, to do an exam, about which you know nothing". This is really important, so do make an effort, it really does make a difference in the end.

Speech over, I shall go back to my wine.

enjoy the wine and good points about the ielts. Thank goodness they try to enforce the basic minimums for entry in regards to languge ability. Makes a BIG difference as you rightly point out. a lot of other countries would not go wrong in copying this example.

Archived