Applied for a prospective marriage visa, need to see him soon! :(

LauraF

Remember the "9 month requirement" isn't 9 months to get married then you get residency...it's 9 months to get married and then apply all over again for the Spouse Visa and pay the associated fee for it. The PMV ends 9 months after it is granted. At that point you need to either leave Oz, apply for another visa to remain in Oz or apply for another visa to re-enter Oz if you are offshore when it expires.

And there really is no way to speed up any of the applications I'm afriad, they almost always take the exact amount of time they publish.

Now you have me worried GeorgeD...Im waiting for my P.M.V to be finalised in August...I wasnt aware of any of the above ...thought we just needed to send Marriage cert...so basically we will still need lots of proof of our relationship is ongoing ?? and we have to pay another fee? and how long after your married can you put in the onshore application, and are you ok to stay in australia once its being processed ???

Tried reading the booklet , but my brain wont co-operate .... lol.... its screaming NOOOO ...:wacko:YOU SAID WE WERE DONE WITH THIS PAPERWORK !!!!!!

Who said ignorance is bliss ?????

Now you have me worried GeorgeD...Im waiting for my P.M.V to be finalised in August...I wasnt aware of any of the above ...thought we just needed to send Marriage cert...so basically we will still need lots of proof of our relationship is ongoing ?? and we have to pay another fee? and how long after your married can you put in the onshore application, and are you ok to stay in australia once its being processed ???

Tried reading the booklet , but my brain wont co-operate .... lol.... its screaming NOOOO ...:wacko:YOU SAID WE WERE DONE WITH THIS PAPERWORK !!!!!!

You'll need to pay another fee, but it's not as much if you're on a PMV. You can apply as soon as you're married. You'll get a bridging visa to tide you over until the partner visa is granted, this will have the same work and study rights as the PMV, but if you want to leave the country and re-enter, you'll have to apply for a bridging visa B, which is generally only granted for emergencies or business travel.

And don't worry, if you're living together you'll have no issue getting evidence together. They're just looking for things like bills/bank statements at the same address in each of your names (doesn't have to be joint). Any joint finances, joint insurance etc. wills are a good one, you can get DIY kits from the post office. It'll be fine...

Guest GeorgeD

If you apply once married and while the PMV is active, the fee is $995. If you apply after it expires, the fee is $1220.

You can apply pretty much as soon as the ink dries on your marriage cert, you don't need to wait any length of time.

Being married only means you don't need to prove any particular length of relationship in the past. You still need to provide evidence that you are a genuine couple, and getting married only proves you got married, nothing else in DIAC's eyes! It also doesn't prove you intend remaining in the relationship in the future.

Yes, you can stay in Oz while the application is being processed, you will be granted a Bridging Visa to allow you to do so legally.

RockDr is right to point out that being together on the PMV and being married will mean you have had the opportunity to generate and gather the evidence you will need for the application...like joint bank accounts, joint mortgage/tenancy agreement, bills at the same address in each other's names, wills naming each other as beneficiaries, naming each other as next of kin/beneficiaries of Superannuation/life insurance policies, etc. Plenty of people apply for this visa and have never lived together prior to being married, so it's actually quite hard for them to get that sort of evidence. There's no way to avoid having to do it, but at least you should have the evidence. I managed to get my spouse visa approved having never lived with my wife before or after we got married! She had also lived on the opposite side fo the world from me for 2 years before our wedding, and during our application process! What I'm saying is, it won't be as bad as you think, but yes, you still need to put together all that paperwork and evidence.

Taken all information on board ...thank you both ...just going to concentrate on getting flight back when visa is finalised, wedding in Dec. Ill worry about it over there...I wont have Morgage/rent agreements ...but I have Bank Statements addressed to me ...Sort out DIY Wills, Life insurance and name on his Medicare asap...

Thanks Guys ...

Yes, that is what everyone has been saying, if the reason you didn't apply for partner visa in the first place was because you didn't feel you had enough evidence, start getting it now! This is because your PMV will only give you 9 months in Oz, you then need to apply for the partner visa anyway - you've just given yourself more time to get evidence together rather than avoiding the partner visa process altogether.

Mail addressed to both of you at the same address, Medicare/health insurance, wills, life insurance, bank accounts etc etc - will all help!

Best of luck to you, take care and enjoy Oz!

Archived