Help deciding between flying/driving

mikeyd

Hello all.

I have been browsing PiO for a while now as my girlfriend and I are soon to move to Mackay after I accepted a job there. The forum has been very helpful and I have found out so much, for that I thank you all!

My current debate is regarding our first journey down under. I am currently waiting on the visa to be accepted but I am hoping to utilise one of the airlines who give up to 40kg for first time migrant flights (emirates/singapore/any others anybody?). This will see us through to Brisbane fine, however, and correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot see the smaller internal flight north giving us the same allowance without paying a small fortune so I am looking at hiring a car for the long drive, we will need the car for a couple of weeks anyway just to sort ourselves out.

Firstly am I right in my thinking regarding baggage allowance? Secondly does anybody know if the hire companies will do one-way rentals without penalising me?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Is your visa permanent or temp? The excess baggage is for permanent unvalidated visas only.

Jetstar apparently do a reasonable deal on excess but do your own research there.

I'd look into flying your excess with an air freight company, as baggage and not bother with hauling it around airports. And fly to your destination rather than drive. After 24 hours on a plane I'd not want to drive any distance. What it will cost you in fuel and hire car fees may well even work out the same as shipping as air freight.

It is a 457 visa so not permanent, good point. We also weren't getting one way flights as it's cheaper to book a return and change it around to whenever you might want to come back to see family etc.

I've spent some more time looking at each company and their policies and charges for extra. Yet more info to throw in the pot but until we have the visa I can't even book flights anyway.

We haven't a huge amount to send so probably looking at using Seven Seas as they seem reasonable for the tea chests/individual items like TV and bike.

So much to weigh up! If we send everything I will just get a flight rather than drive. Spent the last 2 weeks throwing a ton of stuff out/giving to charity so it's getting down to a minimum about now.

Qantas do a cheap deal on excess these days I seem to recall people posting about it. Check their website and read the small print.

Hello all.

I have been browsing PiO for a while now as my girlfriend and I are soon to move to Mackay after I accepted a job there. The forum has been very helpful and I have found out so much, for that I thank you all!

My current debate is regarding our first journey down under. I am currently waiting on the visa to be accepted but I am hoping to utilise one of the airlines who give up to 40kg for first time migrant flights (emirates/singapore/any others anybody?). This will see us through to Brisbane fine, however, and correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot see the smaller internal flight north giving us the same allowance without paying a small fortune so I am looking at hiring a car for the long drive, we will need the car for a couple of weeks anyway just to sort ourselves out.

Firstly am I right in my thinking regarding baggage allowance? Secondly does anybody know if the hire companies will do one-way rentals without penalising me?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

It's about a 10 hour drive as opposed to 75 minute flight.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest littlesarah

Some international airlines will do a through-ticket to a regional airline, using codeshares or similar. You may have to go via a travel agent (in person or online), depends on the airline's web booking system. I have similar issues trying to get flights from SYD to BHX - not many airlines fly there, but online travel agent sites will build a fare to suit.

My experience with one-way rentals is that they are always more expensive than returning the vehicle to its original location.

I would research both options, but do bear in mind that a 10-hour drive after a 24-hour flight is likely to be less than pleasant, and if you didn't get much sleep on your flight could be rather dangerous, IMHO. (From both a tiredness/jetlag/concentration and DVT perspective). It's easy to get quotes for flights and car rental online, so a bit of digging around should get you some reliable info to compare.

Guest GeorgeD
Qantas do a cheap deal on excess these days I seem to recall people posting about it. Check their website and read the small print.

My wife looked at this recently, I think Qantas charged something like $25 for an extra bag of up hold luggage up to 20/23Kg, can't remember which, when she was flying Brisbane to Sydney after returning from holiday in the US.

Archived