How viable is this? Timescales and other questions...

ayatollah

Ok, it's been a couple of months since I've been on the forum. Last I was seen I was discussing trying to convince my wife over the opportunity to migrate with a young child. She is pregnant, due in November, I think we have came to an understanding about moving to Australia. We will be looking to move to Tasmania (Hobart), we have family and friends based there and one has always said that he would do his utmost to get me sponsorship to move over. (He is the manager of an IT firm and I am a software developer.) My wife would also love to study nursing, and we have seen that there is a 2 year fast track course in Hobart. I think I read somewhere recently that this might be being discontinued though.

So my questions are:

- With my wife looking to study Nursing, if there is a course in 2014 she will need to apply by August 2013. Which means we will have to have a PR visa. Is this timescale doable with an employer sponsored visa?

- With the child on the way, we would need to include the child on the visa application. Does this mean we have to wait until November before we can apply? Would this impact the timescales for the visa, bearing in mind the date we would need to have PR by?

- When would be the earliest you would advise travelling with a new born baby? I was thinking 6 months, which would bring us into May 2013 before being able to travel.

- Should I begin the process of getting in contact with the family friend with the job offer now? Seeing as we may not be moving for up to a year would this not be premature?

- What should the chain of events be for us in this situation? Is there anything else we need to do? Is there anything else you need to know for an informed decision? :)

Is this employer going to sponsor you for PR straight away?? Will that be ENS or RSMS?? (ENS you will require skills assessment) Most employers sponsor with 457 to start. If they sponsor for RSMS - if you lodge a decision ready application by a Registered migration agent - these visas are processed very quickly.

If you are looking to apply for PR, and your wife is currently pregnant, you will not be able to have medicals (chest xray is required and not recommended in pregnancy) until after the baby is born, which is best so that the baby is added to the existing application, once you have a passport for the baby. If PR visa granted and baby born outside Australia - child 101 visa will be required which costs $1195.

It is really up to you when you think would be best to travel with a new baby, depending on your circumstances and what you want to do youngest I would say if you are emigrating be 2 months (not before receive first round of immunisations) - best age likely after 4 months once baby has received the 3 lots on immunisations. After 6 months they can get to big for the bassinets on the plane.

It would be worth getting the ball rolling if wanting to get PR visa from an employer (you may require skills assessment which can form ACS thake 12 weeks), PR visas require medicals and Police Checks and you are required to make first entry to Australia within 12 months of earliest date from medicals or police checks. As your wife and baby cant do medicals until at least November, your first entry date would be after that. Visas will not be granted until Medicals can be completed.

You need to find out which type of visa that employer will sponsor you on, perhaps running through your case with a RMA, as it may be worth looking at GSM if you are eligible.

Thanks for the info lebourvellec. I think we will leave the application until after the baby is born but I'll try to get the ball rolling regarding the sponsorship. I just think that asking someone if there will be a job in a years time for me is a bit strange. But I suppose asking now won't do any harm.

Another question...dogs. We would be looking to move our 2 dogs over, would we need to start planning for the various vaccinations, etc, now?

Gonna need about £10k for all this aren't we! :P With dogs, flights (how much is it for a baby anyway?!), shipping...It's an expensive business this. I'm gonna have to give up everything until we go to afford it! :D

There is a section on the forum about pets. Petair will give you more information on Pets and how long they need to be in quarentine before you go - think its about 6 months afte they get the jabs they need.

Flights for under 2 - not much as they sit on your lap - but they do not get baggage allowance.

If you have 2 dogs to ship and a container - you are likely going to need a good bit more than £10K, may be the new job will give you a relocation allowance?

The shipping won't be much, we'll just be shipping essentials so don't envisage a large outlay. Reading around it seems like £5k would be approximately the cost for the dogs, with flights around £1.5-1.8k, I can see £10k being about right. But I could be wrong, haven't looked into it all. We have to sell our house, which should net us around £15k, and 2 cars, around £2k, pay off some stuff, maybe £5k, so we should be in good enough shape.

That's another thing though, selling the house, that could prove to be long and arduous and we won't be able to pay for anything until that is done. So that could be another delay! :D Everything really adds up, in time and money, whenever you start to think about it!

Dunno about relocation allowance at the minute, I'm pretty sure they'd help us out to some degree, I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

Archived