Xcess Bagagge for internal flights?$$$?

Herbster

Hya: :jiggy:

How does the Baggage Allowance work once you arrive in Oz & then have to fly on to your destination - say from Melbourne to Hobart?? Anyone experience of this, advice most gratefully received... Trying to plan The Great New Year's Escape!! & Can't do it without help from the informed underground, Down under! :notworthy::biglaugh:

Cheers,

Herbster XX

If you've booked straight through then your luggage goes straight through from check in with whatever weight agreement you've had at check in. You may have to re-claim and go through customs at your initial point of entry but then there's just a "dumping" place for luggage already checked through to final destination. If you've made two separate reservations and need to check in for the next flight you will have most likely have a problem unless you clear it with them first.

Good luck!

Thank You Selah! Seems I should be booking departure to final destination then, rather than booking final leg separately. :notworthy: And would there be a problem with a stop-over, in say Dubai or LA, depending on route?

Anyone had any nasty surprises regarding baggage allowance?? :twitcy:

Herbster X

Dear Herbster,

Some people have mentioned checking luggage all the way through and having a stopover. I think they used one case which they had to re-check or took things in carry on. I'm not sure. I'd consider checking what flights you want online and then going to a travel agent who can confirm the luggage issues. Someone recently did this - got the quote from the agent then told the agent they could get them online cheaper and the agent met the online price and included a free hotel room in the deal. It was on a recent thread but can't remember where. Good luck. We often have luggage issues as I'm American and use the 2 x 30kg to the states only to get nailed internally here. I find crying helps - but them I am an actress.....

Liz

Hi guys,

We flew with Emirates in Aug and only had a 20kg allowance due to our visa type, Oh managed to get us another 10kg each as he has a contact there (he was a travel agent in UK) but still with 4 persons one being infant (who gets no allowance) we only had 90kg for 4 of us. We actually checked in 120kg!! I thought we were going to get murdered for the extra and they were great didnt even mention it just said see you have agreed excess we knodded in the right places I think and all was well, we did however flight straight through.

I know there was a thread on here when someone flew with singapore they had the extra allowance and when they re checked in after a shop over there the said they had to record of the extra allowace and stung them for quite a bit of money (850 pound I think)!

Em x

Many airlines will say you can't have your extra baggage allowance if you stop off on the way. It's worth ringing Singapore Airlines and seeing what they can do for you because I know a few poms members have had a stop over in singapore and retained their baggage allowance.

We flew Emirates and got 50kg each but would have had this cancelled if we'd stopped over on the way.

Felicity:wub:

Archived