Civil Engineers in WA

shabo

hi all

i am new here, i have applied for 475 and awaiting the CO, as i should be working in regional WA i would like to see if there is any civil engineer working in WA now?

any advice, tips or guides towards getting job there? best cities in terms of opportunities?

we are family of 3 me, my wife and our 4 years son.

thanx for all

Guest Australianinwaiting

No advice but I'm watching with interest as hubbie is a geotechnical engineer.

hi all

i am new here, i have applied for 475 and awaiting the CO, as i should be working in regional WA i would like to see if there is any civil engineer working in WA now?

any advice, tips or guides towards getting job there? best cities in terms of opportunities?

we are family of 3 me, my wife and our 4 years son.

thanx for all

Hi Shabo,

I am a Civil Engineer. What field of Civil Engineering do you work in? Site based Contractors or Consultancy/design office?

Hi Shabo,

I am a Civil Engineer. What field of Civil Engineering do you work in? Site based Contractors or Consultancy/design office?

Hi Dave,

i am in the infrastructure field, site based, site supervision.

Hi Dave,

i am in the infrastructure field, site based, site supervision.

Same as me then. Well WA is the place to be for site based Civil Engineers at the moment. Plenty of work and and as your visa condition is that you need to work regional this wont hinder you as there is a lot of projects in regional areas ongoing at the moment in areas such as The Pilbara, Port Hedland, Karratha, Barrow Island to name a few.

I terms of where to live I am not sure as I live and work in the city and many people who work on regional projects in the North work on a FIFO roster.

Dave

Same as me then. Well WA is the place to be for site based Civil Engineers at the moment. Plenty of work and and as your visa condition is that you need to work regional this wont hinder you as there is a lot of projects in regional areas ongoing at the moment in areas such as The Pilbara, Port Hedland, Karratha, Barrow Island to name a few.

I terms of where to live I am not sure as I live and work in the city and many people who work on regional projects in the North work on a FIFO roster.

Dave

thanx again Dave,

it's nice to hear that there are plenty of jobs available over there, i am worried only if i can get a job in the same city where i will be living, how about not having Australian experience? i have over 13 years of experience most of it in UAE in major projects and multinational companies.

Don't worry too much about having no Australian expereince. You will get your foot in the door somewhere. I work with English, Irish, South African and Asian Engineers who obviously came over here with no Aussie experience. The fact that you have 13 years experience on your CV will count for a lot. If you are prepared to persevere you shouldn't have an issue finding an employer.

Dave

Don't worry too much about having no Australian expereince. You will get your foot in the door somewhere. I work with English, Irish, South African and Asian Engineers who obviously came over here with no Aussie experience. The fact that you have 13 years experience on your CV will count for a lot. If you are prepared to persevere you shouldn't have an issue finding an employer.

Dave

Thanx Dave,

now, i have nothing to do but wait, so let's see after i get the visa what will happen.

Dont forget with the 475 you nominate your regions so you can now choose Perth I believe as it was regionalised last september

Hii bensdad,

i guess i can move any where in the WA except Perth and surroundings.

No your regional sponsorship letter will tell you which area you need to go to. Ie peel , wheat belt , Perth region etc. all I was saying is previously Perth was not classified as regional but that changed in September last year.

Big companies are used to bringing people in from overseas, many of them with no previous work experiience in Oz. Have you worked on big projects? What sort of projects (roads, rail, ports, airports etc)? Most site jobs on big projects are based away from Perth, FIFO. Big construction companies are also well set up for helping people settle over here (finding initial short term rental, providing initial hire car etc).

No your regional sponsorship letter will tell you which area you need to go to. Ie peel , wheat belt , Perth region etc. all I was saying is previously Perth was not classified as regional but that changed in September last year.

Hi bensdad,

ichecked the letter of sponsorship and it didn't mention anything about where to stay, (only WA).

i guess the opposite is correct it was regional but changed.

Most site engineers live in Perth with their family, and fly out to site to work as there isn't another big city in WA.

Have you submitted your CV on-line to all the big construction companies here? Most of them have a facility to upload them from their web-site. Don't worry about whether they are showing as having a suitable post available at the moment, send it in anyway because you never know which day they might land their next big project! Make sure you tey Ertech, Georgiou and BGC - all have large construction projects.

Good Luck with your job hunt.

Big companies are used to bringing people in from overseas, many of them with no previous work experiience in Oz. Have you worked on big projects? What sort of projects (roads, rail, ports, airports etc)? Most site jobs on big projects are based away from Perth, FIFO. Big construction companies are also well set up for helping people settle over here (finding initial short term rental, providing initial hire car etc).

thanx NowPerth,

i haven't contact any company yet as i'm waiting for the visa to be grant first, i worked in large projects like road projects, infrastructure for new communities.

are you working in the construction field in WA? i will try to contact some companies and let's see how it will work.

Archived