Regional work for 2nd year visa

Lauren31

Where is the easiest place to find regional work down the east coast of Australia? Im starting in Cairns and working my way down. Id like to do the 3 months regional work to be able to obtain my second year visa. I would like to do it as soon as possible so that its done.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Whatever you do don't bother ringing the harvest trail, the government sanctioned phoneline for info. All they ever tell you is that there is no area atm that needs workers, as if, in a country as big as Oz! And they wonder why people blag 2nd year Visa's. Apparently the bush fires have curtailed ALL need for workers on the East Coast! Yeah right...

To answer your question though, Cairns, Bundaberg (both QL) and Griffin (NSW) have always had places for regionals BUT a lot of the hosteliers here know this and run absolute dives as a result. (Captive audience, hOSTEL owners and farmers often the same person lol). Any form of construction work in the NT is counted as regional if that's your bag. In WA it's the margaret river region but again, every time you ring "vine power" who are the best known recruitment agency there you get the same old "it's quiet" spiel. Quite annoying if I'm honest.

What I've learnt is, you have to be in the areas to get work, ie don't hold out too much hope of ringing a hostel in say Cairns if you are in SA and expect them to say yes there is work here. Fact of the matter is there are dozens of backpackers rocking up every day asking the same thing in person.

Edited by digitalis

Guest The Pom Queen
Can you recommend anywhere we can do fruit picking/farm work in Cairns?

I created a sticky with all companies to contact, I usually place jobs on here as I become aware of them so keep your eyes peeled.