Anybody living in Townsville ???

Guest Jackie Roberts

Guest alliekate

Listen Annandale is a really nice area........ we could not afford it, and there are a lot of other places (previous thread) that are great to live in. If I could pick this house up and move it (and it was already moved from West End - a posh area (how ironic is that) i would.

But the attitudes, the driving, the rudeness, the animal welfare situation will not change. Not in the years we will be here. Yes we do hate it, but i know a lot of others POMS love it, so do bear that in mind - we have gone thru a lot these last 6 months. But I do not want to become like some of (obviously not all) the aussies here - I am English, a kind, gentle and sensitive soul. I do not want to end up accepting what I cannot stand as standard.

We are hoping to go back to Cumbria or Yorkshire - my only fear ( no TERROR) is Sophie. But as J said, we cannot live out her lifetime here being unhappy. J doesn't want to start his course any more , and I will not leave Sophie alone (eg to work).

I truly believe if we had gone elsewhere in Oz (and our son Syd was still here) , our experience would have been totally different, and i wish with all my heart it had been - but could not afford it. We have just been unlucky.

Thanks for listening - what a relief to have said it !!!!!!!! A xxxxxxx

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Are you still living in Saunders Beach Townsville? Has it got better for you? I am wanting to move to Townsville but I'm a bit nervous I'm living in Sydney at the moment with my husband and my 2 boys aged 13 and 18 . They want to move too, but I'm not sure if I'm leaving the frying pan to jump into the fire . I'm worried that Townsville is quite violent . I hear a lot of stories from a friend of mine who lives in Cairns and she says Townsville has a lot of social problems especially with the Aborigines and their drinking , that they drink and become really violent and they have no respect for the law etc etc etc. That's what's really holding me back.

Guest Jackie Roberts

Hi Angie7

I think that Alliekate left the Poms in Oz forum some time ago ( due to some conflicts with other members ).I would have loved to have found out how she got on, she may be living back in "Sunny" Cumbria by now, who knows????

Sorry I can't be of help to you as we haven't made the move to Townsville yet (hopefully next June) we can't sell the house so hopefully we can rent it out. I must admit I do worry about making the move,but hand on heart I have never seen or heard of any trouble all of the times we have visited.I think finding a good suburb to live is the key, as it is in every country of the world !!

Good luck with any decision you make

regards Jackie.

Guest Happyone

As someone who has lived in inner city Brisbane for a while and visited Townsville for a few days recently, I can honestly say I wasn't impressed. Don't shoot me; my experience may just be isolated! I just didn't feel safe there, especially catching a bus back from a footy game, packed to the rafters with local yobbos (aged from 15 to 65) who seemed reasonably well dressed but then proceeded to swear, bang on the doors, urinate on the bus. One of them was a school teacher encouraging the teenagers, rotten drunk and all. It was very scary. And I've caught buses to the footy in Brisbane for more than 10 years and never experienced anything like this. There are lots of housing estates there where all the houses look the same and don't seem to be built for the climate. There are also some lovely old Queenslander style houses that are built for the climate, so that's a plus!

• 2 months later...

Hi - quite new to this site and recently moved up to Townsville and finding it very hard to get people to talk!! Thought it would be different when my daughter started school last week but no joy! Just read your post that you did ages ago saying you found it hard to fit in - are you still up here? Tracy

Guest Jackie Roberts

Hi, we are hoping to move to Townsville in May (booking flights soon).I have been looking at the Bushland beach area to rent.Does anyone know anything about schools in the area for an 10yr old boy and 12yr old girl,

cheers Jackie

Guest sparkyinoz

I have lived in Cairns just short of two years now and recently my company took some work in Townsville which means I have to travel down for 2 weeks at a time !! I have done 2 trips so far and could not wait to get back to Cairns.... Townsville is so flat and spread out Maggie Island is great !!! But other than that nothing to look at... Well one big rock !!!!!

Townsville is full of AJ's and Miners, all with lots of money so thats why the hoons with fast cars, aswell as the friday saturday fight club which is on the front with all the bars.

Cairns on the other hand surrounded by tropical rain forest green trees instead of brownsville as they call it... But hey I am biased I know that but if you are looking at moving out from UK pop into Cairns and see for yourself.....

• 1 year later...
Guest MikeAnto

:chatterbox:Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Mirboo North in Victoria. My family and I are currently living in Port Vila, Vanuatu. It is a lovely place but we will be leaving here in the next few months to live in Australia. We have been offered jobs in Townsville and Mirboo. From what I have heard about Townsville maybe we should go to Victoria. We have a little girl who is turning 3 in October and I really want to live in a place that is safe and child friendly. Here it is nice but it is very much a place where the expats talk about each other behind their backs. I want to get away from that. Having come from living in Hertfordshire where everyone, or at least the majority, are friendly to each other, this was a real wake up. I am a Chef and my husband an electrician. We just want to live somewhere where people are nice to each other. Is that too much to ask!!!! Anyway hope someone can help me. Antonella

Guest girlwizz99
I have lived in Cairns just short of two years now and recently my company took some work in Townsville which means I have to travel down for 2 weeks at a time !! I have done 2 trips so far and could not wait to get back to Cairns.... Townsville is so flat and spread out Maggie Island is great !!! But other than that nothing to look at... Well one big rock !!!!!

Townsville is full of AJ's and Miners, all with lots of money so thats why the hoons with fast cars, aswell as the friday saturday fight club which is on the front with all the bars.

Cairns on the other hand surrounded by tropical rain forest green trees instead of brownsville as they call it... But hey I am biased I know that but if you are looking at moving out from UK pop into Cairns and see for yourself.....

Hi there, I have been in Townsville for the last year and a half and really dislike the place... We are heading up to Cairns to try it out for size in a few weeks. I have visited a couple of times but would love some advice on the nice areas you can rent a house (I have a yacht so would like to be relatively close to the main marina), whether there is much public transport (I can't drive!!) etc... For instance, looking at real estate com au, there are lots of nice houses in Redlynch available... is there something wrong with the place? They are so cheap it doesnt make sense!! Where would be commutable to the centre? Are there many Brits up there so we can make friends? I would be very grateful for a bit of advice !?

Guest girlwizz99
So, sorry it's taken me while to reply, a lot going at mo.

I am country bumpkin from Cumbria - that is probably why I am finding it sooooooooooooo hard.

By Hicksville I mean - well not tumbleweed blowing thru the streets ( I wish) , I mean..well god I cannot say it without causing a riot. We live in an area (supposedly affluent) of screaming fishwives, naked kids, tyre burnouts, daily dirtbikes, pig hunting, none of the UK courtesy that you will have grown up with.

And animal welfare Queensland = separate thread (sorry, have to get that in).

Mad max drivers, daily deaths on the road. It is a very different society to what I am used to (grew up in London, Surrey and Cumbria). I have taken to making rude signs out of the window every time someone cuts us up, totally unlike me , and it's daily !!!! )and we always do the speed limit.

Ok I'll admit it, our house is going on the market tomorrow and we only completed two weeks ago.

Enough said - J will not be happy I've said that but i don't give a **** any more. Shame we can't take the house with us - a beautiful 100 yr old Queenslander with a fab garden. I love the house, but that is it. I want to go home !!!!!

Hey, I completely agree with you about Townsville.. My husband and I are moving up to Cairns as we have had enough of it here. But don't give up! There are loads more places in Australia with more culture. Basically, these Queensland mining towns are pretty feral but there are plenty of less industrial places. You just need to go on a trip and try them out for size.... Don't be depressed.. your opinion about Townsville doesn't mean the whole of the country can't offer the location of your dreams!

Guest girlwizz99

To AllieKate.. If you fancy meeting up for a drink and a cathartic rant about your experiences here I live on Plume Street , near Palmer Street. I would be delighted...

• 9 months later...
Guest grimsbypeeps
just so i can find it later :biglaugh:

right i found it..... so the point being.... ive been offered a job in a mine... 1 week on one week off but the wage wasnt as hi as i was lead to believe...

so.... is $87,000 AUD enough to have a nice lifestyle in townsville ?

Archived