Seasons Greeting

Guest koala12

Guest koala12

Just wanted to wish everyone a very happy holiday season - if you're still in UK, hold on to your dreams as you'll get here soon enough! For those of you who have now made it to 'the other side' hope your first Christmas in Oz wasn't too traumatic for you - I know how different it can be and also how much you'll miss your family/friends back in UK. Anyone newly arrived or planning on coming to Sydney I'll be happy to give you any help or advice I can...

Best wishes to all on PiO

karen x

Hi Karen,

I was a bit anxious about our first xmas in oz and wondering what it would be like, but we had a brilliant day - the most relaxing one I've ever had. We spent a very chilled day at home, the kids could even play with the basket ball net they'd got which seemed quite a novelty!.. Lots of phone calls in the evening, rather strange our day coming to it's end whilst everyone we spoke too were just starting theirs. Off to the beach this afternoon, hope to meet up with mr & mrs. Braveheart.

Love Ali

Hi Karen

I've just about coped with my first solo Xmas in Sydney! I moved over in November - work transferred me - and although I can see I'm going to love being here in time, at the moment it's all feeling a bit lonely!! I've been keeping myself really busy, but there's no getting away from the fact that i'm spending far too much time on my own. Any tips you can give me for getting out and finding people in a similar situation?

Thanks, Sarah

Guest juneperu

Hi, I'm moving to syd soon myself and can identify with what you're saying. Hope this message finds you ok and keep thinking of the fabulous weather and gorgeous city! I can't wait!!!!! you lucky thing!

Guest koala12

Hi June

When you coming to Sydney and what part are you hoping to settle in? If there's anything I can help you with just let me know and I'll try and help.... Weather here has been great the past few days, and it's a beautiful place to live - I love it!

Take care and Happy New Year

Karen

Guest koala12

Hi Sarah

Whereabouts in Sydney are you and did you come on your own or with a partner/family? It is hard knowing what to do/where to go and make friends. I'm lucky in that my husband is Australian and has some family here but I still want friends of my own - I've made a couple since I've been here but it's not easy. As I don't work and my kids are grown up I don't naturally come in to contact with a lot of people that way - think it's easier if you do! My eldest daughter came out with us and she also found it hard to start with but slowly she's getting there and she loves her new life here too...

Take care and keep in touch

Karen

Guest Sarahj

Hi Karen

I'm living in Manly - it's gorgeous, and I'm commuting into the city on the ferry each day, so that part is going pretty well! I was sponsored to come over by my company so have come alone on a 4 yr visa. I know it's going to take time to meet people and arriving 6 weeks before Christmas was never going to make it any easier!! Still, the city is beautiful, the weather (now) is fantastic and the future's looking good. I've met a few people through networking websites so i've been out and about, but I could do with some friends that I could have a bit of a laugh with!

I'll keep plugging away though, will be joining a tennis club soon which should help. Where abouts are you living, don't suppose you're anywhere in the area are you?

S

Guest koala12

Hi Sarah

I'm in East Botany, the other side of the City! Manly is a lovely place to be living and it must be great commuting into work on the ferry every day - I love catching the ferry over to Manly, it's a real treat but to you it must be a mundane routine. The weather is great at the moment and Sydney is a lovely City - have you managed to see much of it?

Karen

Guest juneperu

hi karen and sarah,

my other half and i hope to be moving to syd in may/june. partner's got a job contract as a geo for a mining co out in broken hill/cobar- two weeks there and one week off with me in syd. currently doing 3yr visa applications sponsored by his co. i am a mature design crafts student at mo, but not getting on and i work p/time in cust servs and hate it!!! so looking forward to starting afresh if it all works out in syd. got the first two weeks in syd courtesy of partner's co. but want to move somewhere not too isolated as i also can't drive at the mo - learning to drive will be the first project. Will love to hear from you two and keep in touch - Happy New Year!!!

Archived