Rent Assistance if you own a property abroad

bigbadcon

Hi folks,

My wife and child and I are heading to Oz in March 2013 on a 175 Skilled Migrant visa.

We dont want to sell our house just yet in case it all goes pear shaped in Oz and we want to come home.

If we love the place we will sell up i'm sure. We are hoping to rent the house out to cover the mortgage in the meantime.

Im wondering will we be eligible for Rent assistance if we own a property back home? I tried one of those calculators on the website but couldnt make any sense of it.

I have a feeling we wont be eligible. Is anyone else in the same situation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

bigbadcon

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm not sure re the property in the UK, but Peach you can claim rental assistance with no waiting period on a PR visa, subject to conditions.

You'd be eligible for rent assistance and likely Family Tax Benefit, possibly some other Family Assistance payments. There is no 2 year wait for family assistance payments, you can claim immediately you are here if you have PR. They are mostly calculated on your income so that will determine the amounts.

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payments/family-assistance-payments/ will give you more info.

Archived