Contractors licence in NSW ?

Guest Woody

Hi

Anyone else out there heading to NSW and planning on being self-employed/sole trader?

I have work lined up contracting (i hope) to a friend in Sydney installing kitchens but i've recently discovered that i need to obtain a contractors licence before i can undertake any work in private homes.

I've spoken to dept. of fair trading and they said it would be upto the assesing people at TAFE to decide if my supporting documents i.e. stuff i submitted to the TRA , are sufficient to gain a licence.

Another bloody hurdle!

So i was wondering if any one else has used their TRA docs to gain a licence and were you successful ?

Cheers

Paul

Guest Ron & Chel

Hi Paul Ron from pool im a plumber and passed the tra as a plumber but i do know to be able to work on my own as a self employed plumber i have to go to nite school for two years to basicly retrain as an Australian plumber this is because i passed my tra before they closed pathway d

cheers Ron

Cheers Ron. Where did you find this info about doing night school and how many nights a week?

Having asked that, i am in a different catergorie to you.I'm a kitchen installer so would need a joiners contractor licence. I'm pretty sure they will be much stricter with trades such as plumbers and electricians.What do you think?

I have a friend in Sydney who has spoken to dept. of fair trading and they have said it will be up to the assessing people at TAFE college to decide if my TRA supporting documents are sufficient enough to gain a licence.

Cheers

Paul

Guest mansfiea

Hey there, we are are in Queensland, so Im not sure if its the same.... but....

My hubby passed his TRA as a Carpenter & Joiner. To gain his licenses he has to be Oz qualified ( Level 3 ). To get this certification, he has to go to tthe TAFE to be assessed, he will have to answer a series of questions on house building, carpentry etc etc... the assessors will be looking for " key words ". He will find out straight away if he has passed all the sections, if he has, he gets his Level 3 there and then.

If he fails a section, all he has to do, is attend a fast track training session, on that particular section, usually a few hours on a saturday !! ( Bit like a refresher course !! )

Once he has his Level 3, he can then go on and get his licenses.

So, it sounds quite complicated, but its really straight forward, and everyone has been really helpful, so thats good.

Fingers crossed he passes now !!

Hope this helps a little.

Angela

Thanks Angela.

It is a bit different with NSW and Queensland but my mate in Sydney(who's a carpenter) says that Queensland is a lot stricter but what you put doesn't seem to bad so i should be ok.

Did your husband have uk quals or 'on the job experience' to pass his TRA. I had the latter.

Paul

Guest mansfiea

Hey

He has the " on the job experience " and " verbal apprenticeship " as well. It doesnt make any difference when it come to your Oz qualifications. In Qld, they call it Recognition of Prior learning !!

Bit of a pain, but quite easy to sort out.

Ang

Archived