Student Visa leading to permanent residence

EvieL8

Hi All

We have begun the long process of getting our affairs in order to apply for a visa through my job but are now considering an alternative option ..... a student visa.

If we apply for student visa in my name, I will have to do a masters as I've already got a degree (this would cost in the region of $50 up to $90k from what I can see) but my Husband has not got any formal qualifications in his field so we are thinking about doing it in his name as the costs involved seem to be considerably lower.

We have loads of questions and would truly appreciate any advice you can provide

Here goes ....

1. My Husband is 40 (birthday in October so will be 41 this year) we think that the age limit on a student visa is under 45, is this correct?

2. Is there any possibility of this type of visa leading to permanent residence?

3. If we are able to apply for residence after the period of education, is the points test the same? e.g. we will still need 65 points to apply?

4. Is it possible to apply for a residence visa whilst we are in Australia of would we have to return to the UK?

5. Has anyone with a family (wife and two kids!) 'got in' using this route?

We are hoping that the points threshold would be lower if we take this route as we are pushing it trying to get to 65 but are also considering the advantages of going for the student visa such as lower visa costs, the option of giving Oz a go before we make a definite commitment, etc.

What are you views?

You should run your case past a RMA - going from a Student visa to PR is not an easy thing to do, the days from doing a vocational course then getting PR is very difficult.

If your OH was the student - you would only be able to work 20 hrs per week, (but with a masters can work full-time).

You will need alot of money to pay fees - and likely Childrens education costs.

Pass mark of 65 will still apply to GSM visas - but you gain 5 points for studying in Australia

I would not let lower visa costs come into it; the student visa route is extremely expensive, not just course fees but children's school fees, health insurance and the fact that work is restricted to 20 hours a week and there is a lot of competition for part time jobs.

Personally, I would not embark upon this route at all as the risks are too great for me, but then I was never particularly desperate to get to Australia. Be aware that you are putting yourself through a lot of stress, will be spending huge amounts of money and there is no guarantee of a visa at the end of it anyway. I would not recommend embarking on this route without speaking to a migration agent who can help you with a strategy.

Guest PierreBurgaud

I was doing that only for students, but my friends are Registered Migration Agent, I can put you in contact with them if you want..

I was doing that only for students, but my friends are Registered Migration Agent, I can put you in contact with them if you want..

No thank you.

The OP should speak to a RMA themselves for advice. There are many well recommended by others on the forum.

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm sorry but it is illegal what you are doing, no one in Australia can offer migration advice like this and I suggest people read the following link http://www.immi.gov.au/migration-fraud/giving-migration-advice.htm

Archived