Type 1 diabetic - cost in Oz

Beckm

Hi,

would anyone be able to give me some information on the average cost of being type 1 diabetic in Australia? Im diabetic and we're in the process of obtaining our visas (my husbands the visa applicant, 176 or 175 visa depending in IELTS score) and I just wanted an average cost of things like insulin, test strips, health insurance etc... I have emailed Medicare but they were quite vague and didn't really give me an idea of cost.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Many thanks in advance

Becky

Hi, I dont know if this might help but have a look on the Diabetes australia website for info, there is also a scheme NDSS (national diabetes society scheme) i think thats what it stands for. If you register with them you can get test strips etc cheaper. I dont know the full details but I know they encourage diabetics over here to join the scheme. you may be able to get a contact from them to give you more of an idea of costs?!

good luck

liz

To belong to the Diabetic Scheme you first have to register with a GP who will then authorise you to belong.

You will pay for your insulin, you get six months supply for the price of one scrip of each insulin you use. My daughter uses two different types. Best to check on the Pharmaceutical Benefits list to see that the insulin you are using is available here. My daughter has the quick acting four a day jabs and then the overnight insulin.

Archived