Obtaining PCCs in high-risk countries

Miss Swan

Has anyone experienced getting PCCs from high risk countries? I am in Singapore, have worked in China for 18 months (Apr 2006 - Dec 2007) and India for 13 months (Dec 2007 - Jan 2009).

2 years ago, in 2010 I had emailed to the India High Commission explaining that I want to apply for an Oz migration visa and would need to obtain an India PCC but was given this reply:

"Madam, normally police clearance certificate is issued only to Indian passport holders. However, if you are able to produce a police clearance certificate from `Superintendent of Police Office where you resided in India, then we may consider issuing the police clearance certificate." :err:

This answer is confounding - I couldn't possibly fly to India just to obtain this said certificate and then have the India High Commission issue another one (are they one and the same anyway??).

The Chinese embassy is not exactly helpful either, when I queried on the same issue. I'm just worried that I'd have to argue my way through just to get the PCCs for these two countries. Or has the process streamlined now, and there's some official document from DIAC that I can hand over to the embassies so that I won't be given ambiguous or unhelpful replies?

Guest Buta
Has anyone experienced getting PCCs from high risk countries? I am in Singapore, have worked in China for 18 months (Apr 2006 - Dec 2007) and India for 13 months (Dec 2007 - Jan 2009).

2 years ago, in 2010 I had emailed to the India High Commission explaining that I want to apply for an Oz migration visa and would need to obtain an India PCC but was given this reply:

"Madam, normally police clearance certificate is issued only to Indian passport holders. However, if you are able to produce a police clearance certificate from `Superintendent of Police Office where you resided in India, then we may consider issuing the police clearance certificate." :err:

This answer is confounding - I couldn't possibly fly to India just to obtain this said certificate and then have the India High Commission issue another one (are they one and the same anyway??).

The Chinese embassy is not exactly helpful either, when I queried on the same issue. I'm just worried that I'd have to argue my way through just to get the PCCs for these two countries. Or has the process streamlined now, and there's some official document from DIAC that I can hand over to the embassies so that I won't be given ambiguous or unhelpful replies?

Check out: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/character-penal.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hi Miss Swan,

Looks like we are on the same boat. I have worked for couple of years in china and now finding hard to get Police checks from there. I had been checking if any agents out there can help in getting this. My visa was from Shanghai. What abt u?

Can you check in vfs if they do india Police checks?

Guest thangvan

Not just high risk countries, if you are not Singaporean, and you have lived in Singapore, obtaining the Singa Police Cert is a nightmare too

Guest thangvan

I've just applied for one under the new procedure and it is indeed not a comfortable procedure. Took me 3 weeks, without any receipt or confirmation of application in progress, to issue my COC. Then they didn't allow me to pick up the COC or send the COC to me. What they did was sending the COC, using slow register mail, no tracking option directly to my CO. I was willing to pay more to get my important COC sent by courier but they refused to do it. Now my COC is somewhere in the post system, I'm waiting for it to reach my CO

Archived