Monash vs Sandringham Hospital Maternity Facilities

DBC

A bit of advice needed...

Has anyone had children at either of these hospitals? I was told by a GP today that he wouldn't recommend Sandringham as it is understaffed and the facilities are poor. I have been told by a couple of people that have had their kids at Sandringham that it was great so am very confused. Back in the UK it was possible to have a look at the maternity wards - can I do that here? Tried to ask GP today but he was beyond useless and looked about 12.

Thanks in advance.

Call the hospitals and arrange a tour. They want your business!

Make a decision based on your own values and comfort... Remembering that Child birth in Australia is highly medicalised, and what you want from your birth experience (all mod cons.... Epidurals, etc) or a more low tech approach... Go have a look and make the decision that feels right for you!

Monash is part of Southern Health - google them and there's info about the facilities :)

Monash (Clayton) is a tertiary level maternity hospital, and only takes a few low-risk births, but the others in the network take more of the low risk mums to be.

We're having our lil Miss fruit loop @ Casey Hospital in Berwick - part of Southern Health, under Midwife led care :) So long as nothing else goes wrong I shouldn't need to see a doctor for the duration, it's all midwives :)

Edit: And they definitely do tours (I know Casey does them at 2pm on a Sunday)

Thanks for all the advice. I've since found out that I can't go to Sandringham anyway as I had an emergency section with my little girl. As for going with the GP's advice - I have never come across a doctor like him! He was an absolute idiot! He didn't answer any of my questions, assumed that my pregnancy was an accident as my little one is 11 months old, and sat there admiring the ripped jeans he was wearing. A little bit of professionalism would have been nice!

I'll look into going on a tour of Casey and Monash depending on my options.

JoandJon - when are you due? Good luck!

I'm due in mid October - and cheers!!

If you're not low-risk then they might not take you at Casey but Dandenong is also an option as well - but it all depends, they'll be able to sort you out in any case!#. I switched GPs after seeing the first one, cos she was a total idiot!! But the GP I've got now is brilliant - he does shared care as well so I know that he knows his stuff (which is great).

Good luck wiht it all :)

I'm now booked in at Sandringham - I randomly met a midwife that works there when walking the dogs who said I could give birth there despite my previous section.

As for the GP - I saw him yesterday to get my referral letter and walked out determined never to go back - you should have seen the spelling and grammar mistakes on the letter!

By the way, my 2 labs are great with my little girl - I think they were a bit put out at first but they follow her around and she has now worked out that they will come over to her if she holds her food out out for them - labrador heaven!

Archived