Hello!

Melly Hutchibon

Hi all, we are hoping to consider moving to Oz in the near future, we have decided to apply for the 175 realising that it takes longer but wanted to keep our options open and not be committed to any particular state. Has anyone else recently applied for the 175? Any info on processing times would be great, I have checked the IMMI website which advises that Oct 2011 applications have a case officer so hoping it wont take forever! It's myself, hubby and our two sons (7 & 5) so really its a big decision to make the move.......any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated - we have not discussed this at all with the boys as we feel that it's unfair to stress them out especially given the potential time scales....we have been considering this for at least three years so it's great to have finally done something about it! (is this normal or is it just me who procrastinates!) Anyway I have really enjoyed reading some of the posts (lot's of really helpful info) and look forward to sharing the banter!

Guest AKA63029
Hi all, we are hoping to consider moving to Oz in the near future, we have decided to apply for the 175 realising that it takes longer but wanted to keep our options open and not be committed to any particular state. Has anyone else recently applied for the 175? Any info on processing times would be great, I have checked the IMMI website which advises that Oct 2011 applications have a case officer so hoping it wont take forever! It's myself, hubby and our two sons (7 & 5) so really its a big decision to make the move.......any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated - we have not discussed this at all with the boys as we feel that it's unfair to stress them out especially given the potential time scales....we have been considering this for at least three years so it's great to have finally done something about it! (is this normal or is it just me who procrastinates!) Anyway I have really enjoyed reading some of the posts (lot's of really helpful info) and look forward to sharing the banter!

Hi Melly.

Firstly a very warm welcome to PIO, hope you enjoy your time.

Whilst in the welcome forum (and thanks for that) I will move your thread into 'Migration' as you will get heaps more replies matey.

Enjoy and don't be afraid to ask away as many have been in your position and will doubtless help out.

Cheers Tony.

From what you have posted it looks as if you might have waited too long to get started on the process of applying for a 175 application.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

The above post is no doubt referring to the fact that all the skilled visas are changing in July. They will have new numbers, and it's changing to a system where you put in an expression of interest, and then DIAC will invite the best* applicants to apply. so you only pay the application fee at that second stage. It's basically to avoid the current situation of skills lists changing and applications ending up in limbo due to priority processing not prioritising them.

you can read all about the changes here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/new-skilled.htm

and here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

*for a given definition of best

Thanks for your reply's everyone, I submitted the application online and uploaded my files on the 25th April, we had originally intended on the 176 with SS from WA however my IELTS results came in at a 9 which gave us more than enough points for the 175 and having read some mixed posts about Perth we opted for not putting all our eggs into one basket so to say! I think Perth is still our favorite option however Queensland also looks really encouraging so we still have some decisions to make. POI has really helped me/us through the whole process but I do have one little question.....when uploading/scanning documents for the online application do they have to be certified? Our solicitor said that you can't actually certify a copy of your birth/marriage certificates by law (as per the small print on the certificates) and I read somewhere on POI that colour scanned doc's do not need certificated - I am right in assuming that any CO if not satisfied would give us an opportunity to provide documents (certified or original) if necessary?

Thanks for your time :-)

Mel

Archived