Travel Insurance....Help!

Mojo48

HI

If anyone have any ideas on this i'd be very grateful.

My son has been working in Melbourne on a 457 visa for the past 2 1/2 years. He's decided he wants to go home to the Uk but before he does he intends to go to China for 3 months. He has his visa, flights and accommodation all booked but he is having trouble getting travel insurance. He cant get travel ins here in Aus because he isnt a resident. He has tried getting insurance in the Uk but they all say he has to of been residing in the Uk for 6 mths of the last 12 and have a Uk address. Bupa International say online if you arent a resident then they can help but when he phoned they said no. It would be a real shame if he didnt take this fantastic opportunity because he couldnt get travel insurance. So if anyone knows what he could do..thankyou

:biggrin:

Not a resident ........ funnily enough though I bet he is for tax purposes, we are :arghh: ............... I have never heard of this before and am really concerned. We are on a 457 ............ so if what you are saying is true we can´t get insurance if we leave OZ ...... madness ....

I plan to have my first holiday in over 2 years in August and will need insurance, but if this is correct I won´t be able to get it.

Do you think it is because he is going for 3 month´s?

I am sickened to read this ............... it is just so not fair ............ good luck and I will ask around and if I find anything out I will let you know.

Hi Love Shoes

No. it has nothing to do with the lenth of time he will be away but more to do with the fact he is not a PR and Aus insurance needs to start and end in Aus. Hes kind of in limbo i guess. Cant get Insurance in Oz nor Uk......

And yes he is a fully paid up member of the tax man!

Hi Love Shoes

No. it has nothing to do with the lenth of time he will be away but more to do with the fact he is not a PR and Aus insurance needs to start and end in Aus. Hes kind of in limbo i guess. Cant get Insurance in Oz nor Uk......

And yes he is a fully paid up member of the tax man!

Thought as much, so are we, but it looks like we will have the same problem, I have just logged onto my bank web site and tried to get a quote and it says ............ only available to Australian residents ............. drat.

There must be a company somewhere out there, I think I know of one, going to see if they will do it and post back.

YYaayyyyyy......

I have found an Australian insurance company called Insure4less. They are undrwritten by Lloyds of London. They will insure non residents of Aus as long as you have been here for a least 3 months. And its ok for his final destination to be the Uk. He doesnt have to return Aus as his final destination either. Have done reviews on them and they seem ok and have given him a very good quote. $500 for the year. Hes taking the yearly one in case he decides to stay in China longer so wont have to worry about extending it.

Hi Rock Dr

Just seen your post as i wrote this thankyou.....:biggrin:

Guest Roger Williamson

Hi. I know of a UK Insurer called True Traveller Insurance who cover Brits who are abroad who don't have any insurance cover. Just Google them and give them a try.

Archived