Stupidly complicated visa question

adaminoz

Hi all

I'm on a 457 visa, and am soon to apply for a defactor visa with my Ozzy girlfriend.

I have 2 questions:

1. Once the initial criteria is met for the defacto visa, I get granted a bridging visa (of my sponsored visa) - what if my employment ceases, what happens? The 457 is then no more, and the bridging visa just bridges the sponsor.

2. Once I've applied for the defacto visa, can I leave for a month to go on holiday?

Thanks for any replies!

1. Once you submit your Partner visa onshore a bridging visa only comes in to play if your 457 expires or finishes, until a decision is made on your Partner application. A bridging visa usually has the same work regulations as the previous visa you are on therefore I am unsure if you would be able to change employer on a bridging visa?? You would need to ask a registered migration agent that question.

2. Yes - but if you are on a bridging visa (A) you will require to be granted Bridging visa B before you leave Austrlaia. But you need to show exceptional circumstances to be issued bridging visa B, dont think a holiday would be exeptional circumstances. If you are still on your 457 visa you can come go as terms of your visa.

The bridging visa you get off a 457 visa states that you cannot change employment without DIAC's approval. My interpretation of this is that you'd be ok finding employment in a similar job (same as if you'd found another sponsor for the 457), but you wouldn't be able to just go flip burgers.

Archived