What is the 6-month-passport-validity thing !

roky

Hello Everybody,

Well, I haven't been here in a long while, so as a quick update, I'm an Egyptian, and have got a PR. I'm not an AU citizen yet; so I'm still using my home country passport.

My passport expires in December this year, and I intend to go overseas for a few weeks to visit my home country and come back in October. By then my passport should be still valid for another 2 month when I come back to Australia (furthermore, I intend to renew it while I'm over there). I rang IMMI the other day and they said they would let me in if my passport is still valid -no matter for how long. Yet they said I should check with the airlines too. iata_small.gif

I heard that the airlines won't carry me unless my passport is valid for at least six month AFTER the return date !! would that still be true even if I have a PR 13.gif

Any thoughts on this !

Roky

airline-terms-passport.jpg

A sample from airelines terms and conditions ... it says that traveller should have a validty as accepted by the travelled country ... (in wich case my home country, which will let me enter no matter how long my passport is valid for)

Wondering why would the airlines still require me to have 6 months validy in my passport !!

airline-terms-passport.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14241[/ATTACH]

A sample from airelines terms and conditions ... it says that traveller should have a validty as accepted by the travelled country ... (in wich case my home country, which will let me enter no matter how long my passport is valid for)

Wondering why would the airlines still require me to have 6 months validy in my passport !!

Didnt realise you were renewing when you are back in Eygpt? I will check "Timatic" at work today for you :)

Timatic ... don't know what it's but hope it helps.

Can I ask you another favour Loja ... could you also ask your beloved Timatic what might happen if I cannot renew my passport on the way back to Australia ?! My passport would be still valid for about two month by then. Though I honestly honestly intend to renew it ... I'm only wondering what might happen just in case

Maaaaaaany Thanks

Roky

Here goes

When leaving Australia as a National of Eygpt you can be accepted for travel to your Home Country on an expired passport so validity is not a problem there (one of the few countries you can travel to on an expired (EG) passport hence the validity rule does not apply)

When coming back to Australia it states that your passport has to be VALID ON ARRIVAL so no issues with time constraints there so if you don't manage to renew in Egypt then no worries

As long as your PR is valid then there will be no problems

"TIMATIC" is the travel bible that all airlines use

So .......you're good to go :)

Here goes

When leaving Australia as a National of Eygpt you can be accepted for travel to your Home Country on an expired passport so validity is not a problem there (one of the few countries you can travel to on an expired (EG) passport hence the validity rule does not apply)

When coming back to Australia it states that your passport has to be VALID ON ARRIVAL so no issues with time constraints there so if you don't manage to renew in Egypt then no worries

As long as your PR is valid then there will be no problems

"TIMATIC" is the travel bible that all airlines use

So .......you're good to go :)

LONG LIVE TIMATIC !!

This way I'll save a lot of time and money

Don't forget that you'll need to transfer your visa from your old passport to your new one :)

Not sure if it will still be ok if you're carrying your old one as well - might be worth checking with DIAC

IMMI website says it should be okay if I keep both passports http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/95documents.htm#g

It's only the new passport won't have the same number as the expired one - the old one was before Egypt started to issue MRPs, and as the new one will have totally different serial ...

Archived