Pick up service and paperwork

This is really directed at Bob but I thought it might help others who are thinking along the same lines as me.

Hi Bob,

I understand you run a pick up service and take dogs to Heathrow for a charge. I think this is what we'll be doing when the time comes as we live in Norwich and I would panic about getting her to the right place on time, etc. But what I would like to know is, do you put her in the crate when you pick her up and then let her out again at Heathrow for a wee and such? I think she'll be really panicked to be without me and is rather barky when scared! Does she just stay in the crate when she gets there? Do I give the worming and flea treatment before she's picked up or does the vet do that at the airport?

Also, paperwork wise, how much would it cost to have the import permit bits and where would I get the paper work from? How much would it cost to have Pet Air do that bit for me so that I can just do the vet bits, i.e. rabies jab, blood work, etc.

I'm still having so much trouble grasping it so any help would be great. We're planning to get her vet work started when I lodge the visa, as I understand that it takes 6 months from her jab so that she's not in kennels for too long? What should we do exactly when the time comes to start?

Sorry for all the questions! I do have a quote from you but these are just the questions that are plaguing me!

Dear Tulip

Dont you worry!

Normally if we are collecting pets from as far from Heathrow as Norwich, we would recommend collecting them the day before the flight so the journey can be broken up a bit and we reduce the length of time the pets are actually travelling for.

If we collected her then you have 2 options - 1 is to get your vets to do the final vet check and paperwork and treatments within 4 days of the flight date then we can collect your pup drive her nearer to Heathrow and then the airport vet can do the second check OR we can collect her our vets do the final check/treatments and paperwork and then the airport vet does their second checks.

The import permit costs you and us $325 AUD - about £220GBP. We charge £275 to get one permit and apply for the DEFRA export papers and this includes our vets completing the RNATT (rabies blood sample) declaration. Your vet will normally charge you for completing the RNATT forms, so there is no point in doing this yourself.

Yes the rabies work need to be started 6-12 months before you plan to go to ensure minimum time in quarantine in Australia.

Tulip, i hope this helps, but with so many questions/concerns calling us and chatting this through is a million times better.

If you fancy it give us a call and we can chat this all through.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for your reply, I'm sorry if I've been delayed seeing it. That is a big relief then, and yes the paperwork form bit sounds much easier. I read the whole guide on AQIS the other day and was rather taken aback by how much work it is. I will give you a buzz sometime in July if that's ok, as we're lodging in August and we won't be leaving without her going before us so are allowing that six months anyway, so I was thinking we can give the jab in July.

By the declaration do you mean we have to come to you to have the samples done, or can we just send you the results and you do the permit stuff from there?

I am a bit wary of her being in kennels or similar for the night and if that's the case we may drive her, she really is very clingy and aloof to others, and though I realise she's going to be in kennels for a month over the pond it's something I would rather avoid if possible. Still, if it's unavoidable then that is what we shall do.

Thanks again Bob, so much. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and will definately be using PetAir, can't imagine shipping with anyone else.

Dear Tulip

Yes, you get the rabies vaccination and blood sample done with your local vet then you send us the results and we work from there.

Ref the journey to the airport - we can come up with a plan based around what is better for her really.

Anything else give us a tinkle.

Bob

Archived