USAer and UKer to OZ (one day)!

mellamoamo

Hi y’all

My husband (UKer) and I (USAer) have been married for 3 years now and are increasingly frustrated with the situation in the UK – we just don’t feel we will ever have the opportunities for a ‘good’ life in the UK. Plus, we long for warm weather!

We’d been toying with the idea of Oz for about a year now but it’s just hit us like a bolt of lightning this past month. Have been stalking this forum for about a week now, but not sure where to start really, especially with 1 July Skillselect looming!

My husband is a Quantity Surveyor, just about 8 years of experience. I work as a PA and 'should' be able to get a transfer job within my company which luckily has many many offices in Oz. We are leaning towards the Independent Skilled Migrant (175) and the Skilled Sponsored Migrant (176), but not sure whether it is worth busting our @sses to get an application in before the 1 July deadline or to just wait for Skillselect?

Well, looking forward to meeting new folks on here and many thanks in advance for your advice and support.

(I appreciate the support you get on these migrant forums as when I was applying for my spousal visa from USA to UK I found the forums a great help!!)

Amo :cute:

Hi,

for the 175/176 you will need a skills assessment. That takes quite a while to process so you won`t have any other option but to apply under Skillselect. Your other option might be the employer sponsored visa, especially since you are already employed in a company that has offices there. I am not sure but I don`t think that they will simply let you transfer without paperwork galore:wink:.

175/176 is better if you have a family, you won`t have to pay for kid`s education and you will be under Medicare for your medical needs. Also, if you are planning to stay in Australia, you will need to apply for PR anyway.

Good luck to you, we are hoping to move from the US . I found a site for Americans that made the move or in the process, it`s not as active as PIO but there is some useful info too. It`s www.yanksdownunder.net

Archived